Curving an Object in Two Different Planes


Dexter1
 Share

Recommended Posts

I need some help. I need to curve an object in two different planes. Is that possible in Chief Architect? I need to put and arch in a solid and then curve that solid around a curved wall. The circled object is what I need to curve along a curved wall, it already has an arch.

Pic 2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dexter1 said:

Thanks much, will try it.

 

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

I think there is a way to do it turning it into a symbol and using it as a window treatment with a curved window on a curved wall.

 

@yusuf-333would probably know how to do it though.  You might want to look at some of his old posts.

 

Thats a solution for the shape, the rest is moldings

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the first step in these situations is to make sure you fully understand the geometry of the object(s) you intend to curve.  Does the entire object actually curve or it it possible its only a couple specific surfaces that curve?  Or perhaps its a combination of elements...

1204135098_Pic1.thumb.jpg.2b9247bf7ba65abc64f3be5bd642f3b0.jpg

1526277732_Pic2.thumb.jpg.578cce8d8841f109afc21648d038fa11.jpg

666938662_pic3.thumb.jpg.736556f5e76f9732bde43ac34fd54200.jpg

...and the more elements you have, the more complicated it can become.

 

Once you decide exactly what needs to curve, then you can decide the best method of modeling it.  Can you verify what exactly needs to curve?  And what all elements are involved? 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way, if you do decide that the entire symbol needs curving, there are a few methods you can use such as:

  • Converting your symbol to a window symbol, placing that window symbol into a curved wall, and then converting that curved window to a fixture symbol.  This method is the one I've historically used the most because it allows for pretty easy resizing of the symbol.  It is however extremely nuanced and requires setting various things (wall thickness, symbol offsets, wall radius, etc.) just right and using some less than intuitive parameters that you wouldn't normally think of in order to get the desired results.
  • Using the Window treatment method mentioned by @DBCooper.  I won't get into this one as its not one I've used very much.
  • Converting your symbol to a cabinet door symbol and then using a Bow Front cabinet to get your desired size and shape.  This seems to actually be the most intuitive and easiest to control.  Its pretty easy to get accurate results and only requires modifying one symbol setting (which isn't even totally necessary).  I have a special "tool" set up specifically for this purpose.  Here's what you do.
  1. Download the attached object.  Its really just a Bow Front Cabinet set to a Filler and with every element turned off except for a single Door Front.
  2. Select the object(s) you would like to curve, and click the Convert Selected to Symbol tool.  Choose Symbol Category>Cabinet Door/Drawer, check Add to Library, and check Show Advanced Options.  Click Okay.
  3. When the Symbol Specification dialog opens up, change the Y Position Origin Offset to 1/16" (this will cause the door symbol to hug the cabinet front with no gap between the door and the cabinet)
  4. Drop the previously downloaded "Symbol Arching Tool" cabinet into your plan
  5. Select your previously created Door/Drawer and hover over your "Symbol Arching Tool" cabinet.  You should see the Replace From Library indicator.  Click to replace.
  6. Change the width and height of the cabinet to adjust the overall width and height of the newly curved object and change the Bow Front Depth to adjust the radius of the curve.  NOTE:  It really helps visualize things a bit better if you at least temporarily turn on Show Closed Doors/Drawers in Plan View in your General Cabinet Defaults.
  7. When you get the shape you want, simply select the cabinet, Convert Selected to Symbol, and select Symbol Category>Fixture

Symbol Arching Tool.calibz

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dexter1 said:

Is there any way to curve moldings in two different planes also?

As @Alaskan_Son explained in his post just model the whole system in zx plane and use it as a window. Read his explanation, it works well.

 

On 9/23/2022 at 10:37 PM, Alaskan_Son said:
  • Converting your symbol to a window symbol, placing that window symbol into a curved wall, and then converting that curved window to a fixture symbol.  This method is the one I've historically used the most because it allows for pretty easy resizing of the symbol.  It is however extremely nuanced and requires setting various things (wall thickness, symbol offsets, wall radius, etc.) just right and using some less than intuitive parameters that you wouldn't normally think of in order to get the desired results.
  • Using the Window treatment method mentioned by

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am following this post closely to see what solutions are available. It’s amazing to see how many options there are to solving this problem.

 

Some here might model it up in sketchup and import it into to Chief. Please see an example below of importing into CA. BTW I don’t know who made this video but the introduction muppet song is still funny lol.

 

 

There might still be an easier way right inside Chief ?

 

Edit 1: In Chief Architect, can we create another curved backsplash like above, that is the same size as the molding width, then attach a custom molding profile to it ? Or can we instead extrude a custom molding along the top edge of the original backsplash ?

 

Or could we put an arch with a molding profile on it around a curved wall. Then you would also need two flat curved moldings on each end to join the curved arch. Both joins would need to be invisible as well.

 

I’m not sure what is actually possible in Chief Architect or X14 ?

 

Thanks for the help to all those above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 4:54 AM, Renerabbitt said:

 

Thats a solution for the shape, the rest is moldings

Hi RR, great method, can we then also attach a custom molding profile to the top edge of the custom backsplash you created here ?

 

Will this method below work to complete the Job for the person above, as I only have up to X10 ? 

 

Edit: I did my own test in X10 with the backsplash tool and it worked for that part like the video RR created here.

 

I tried drawing a 2D polyline to follow the outer edge of the curved backsplash. Then I converted the polyline to a 3D molding polyline but it would not bend in the same planes as the backsplash did.

 

It would be very nice if we could attach a molding to any edge on a backsplash like we can with countertops.

 

That would solve this problem once and for all and give us even more flexibility right inside Chief Architect.

 

We can definitely model that house above in Chief Architect and even curve the walls but if we want custom moldings that bend in two planes at once that are not attached to a window frame then that’s not quite possible just yet.

 

I was able to test a palladium custom arch top window in a curved wall and used a custom molding profile and it worked just fine. The molding followed the outer edge of the window frame and went around the double arches as well.

 

If someone can create a custom molding profile on top of a curved arched pediment with the symbol wizard as requested above, then please post your video here.

 

I personally don’t think it’s quite possible just yet right inside CA ?

B625415E-E7C9-4C24-8D14-3D491DC9640A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi, If anybody is interested, I asked this same question above in the Archicad forum to see how they would solve it over there.

 

This is a video from a lecturer of Archicad in Europe who solves it in that application.

 

 

I would like to throw down a challenge to anyone who is a Chief Architect Master to make a video on how they would create a similar molding in Chief Architect so we can all benefit from it. 

 

If it’s not quite possible right now it would be great if we could do it in a future version of Chief ?

 

I tried it in Chief  X10 but I only got as far as RR and I posted his video over at the Archicad talk forum so others could see Chief in action.

 

If you are a one eyed Chief supporter then please don’t hit the negative button just come up with a solution, if you can’t then just see if any Chief Master here can.

 

You can use any other CAD application if you wish including Sketchup as we can import from that application.

 

Enjoy and have fun !

 

Edit: This is as far as I got in CAX10, please see the picture below of a backsplash on a backsplash. If we could somehow edit a rectangular profile and turn it into a molding and then if could automatically extrude on the path of the edge or something like that ? Then this proposed method would be possible in CA.

CAX10 CM.pdf

Edited by mthd97
Update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Hi, If anybody is interested, I asked this same question above in the Archicad forum to see how they would solve it over there.

 

This is a video from a lecturer of Archicad in Europe who solves it in that application.

 

 

I would like to throw down a challenge to anyone who is a Chief Architect Master to make a video on how they would create a similar molding in Chief Architect so we can all benefit from it. 

 

If it’s not quite possible right now it would be great if we could do it in a future version of Chief ?

 

I tried it in Chief  X10 but I only got as far as RR and I posted his video over at the Archicad talk forum so others could see Chief in action.

 

If you are a one eyed Chief supporter then please don’t hit the negative button just come up with a solution, if you can’t then just see if any Chief Master here can.

 

You can use any other CAD application if you wish including Sketchup as we can import from that application.

 

Enjoy and have fun !

 

Edit: This is as far as I got in CAX10, please see the picture below of a backsplash on a backsplash. If we could somehow edit a rectangular profile and turn it into a molding and then if could automatically extrude on the path of the edge or something like that ? Then this proposed method would be possible in CA.

CAX10 CM.pdf 259.1 kB · 4 downloads

i tried it using  X10.

plan and pictures attached.

p 6.jpg

p 5.jpg

p 4.jpg

p 3.jpg

p 2.jpg

p 1.jpg

2way curved molding.plan

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome ! Well done Yusuf we all knew you are a Chief Master.

 

It looks like you used polyline solids to achieve these results ?

 

I did try to use a polyline and to convert into a molding when placed on a wall but I could only get it to bend one way. It would not wrap around the wall like a backsplash did.

 

So how did you actually go about shaping your molding profile out of another polyline solid right inside a double curved arch ?

 

I can see your boolean operations from your pictures above but how you actually shaped the edge of it, has go me baffled ?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Awesome ! Well done Yusuf we all knew you are a Chief Master.

 

It looks like you used polyline solids to achieve these results ?

 

I did try to use a polyline and to convert into a molding when placed on a wall but I could only get it to bend one way. It would not wrap around the wall like a backsplash did.

 

So how did you actually go about shaping your molding profile out of another polyline solid right inside a double curved arch ?

 

I can see your boolean operations from your pictures above but how you actually shaped the edge of it, has go me baffled ?

Here is a video 

Thanks

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Awesome ! Well done Yusuf we all knew you are a Chief Master.

 

It looks like you used polyline solids to achieve these results ?

 

I did try to use a polyline and to convert into a molding when placed on a wall but I could only get it to bend one way. It would not wrap around the wall like a backsplash did.

 

So how did you actually go about shaping your molding profile out of another polyline solid right inside a double curved arch ?

 

I can see your boolean operations from your pictures above but how you actually shaped the edge of it, has go me baffled ?

Simple solve for what you are asking for
image.thumb.png.b08a1b1b8f8317982ee54974a12ca58b.png


 
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, yusuf-333 said:

Here is a video 

Thanks

 

Absolutely awesome Yusuf ! 

 

That took allot of skill and patience to achieve what you did above in X9.

 

The very close following of those node points in both planes was what allowed the bending of the 3D polyline by the looks ?

 

I would not have been able to work that out without your help.

 

No doubt you would also be able to put a molding on top of a 3D solid using the same method as here.

 

To save us time and much hard work it would be very good if CA allowed us to automatically put a molding on a selected double curved edge.

 

I have been asking them to do that with the backsplash edges.

 

Well done !

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Of course with a few more adjustments to the window settings, that window molding can be converted to a symbol without using the surface removal tool.

image.thumb.png.368389ab0fd3bd7a11deec7974b42c5f.png

Very nice work Robert !

 

It was hard for me to get these curved arch window casings to look smoothe in 3D.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    32353
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    RRSSeattle
    Newest Member
    RRSSeattle
    Joined