Import old plan into new template with new settings

RobUSMC

Go to solution Solved by BenPalmer,

I have an old plan I did years ago for a client that decided they are ready to move forward.  Since then I have updated my layers, dimension, annotation and active view sets.  I was able to import layers sets but cannot figure out to import the others.

OR.... Maybe Im doing this wrong.....what's the best way to get an old plan into my current plan template?

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-09-22 082300.png

• RobUSMC changed the title to Import old plan into new template with new settings
  • Solution

Depending on all you want to bring in and how old a plan is, I import the following:

>Saved Plan Views

>Default Settings (check overwrite and replace)

>Layer Sets (select all and replace)

>Wall Definitions (if any new wall definitions needed)

(a few other steps I do with really, really, really old plans)

That should get you pretty close and will just need to make some adjustments as you go...but much faster than starting over.

• Upvote 1

You can import a lot of defaults with Import Default Settings.

Open the old plan in X14 and use Import Default Settings, select a plan from which you want to import the default settings from - probably your X14 template plan?

Select the defaults you want to use.

Any defaults that aren't included using this method (like Wall Types, Layer Sets, Saved Plan Views, etc) can usually be imported as a seperate operation.

Have a look in the Help file for Importing Default Settings for more details.

2085520697_ScreenShot2022-09-23at10_32_01am.thumb.jpg.2b7771b988b4cdd8f11f59782a4b86e1.jpg

• Upvote 2

You can also Use  EDIT > EDIT AREA > (Choose Option Type)  and  Paste into a New Plan which uses your Latest Template,

The most typical Warning is a different ceiling Elevation which can be ignored and then set as needed via the New Plan Defaults.

* I won't say it's the perfect method as anything NOT at Default will remain so..... but I think there will always be "repairs" needed

no matter the method but I use this method for Plans from Canvas as they are all done in X12 and I still find Plans especially

X12 cause issues like Random Lockups in X14.

M.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, BenPalmer said:

Depending on all you want to bring in and how old a plan is, I import the following:

>Saved Plan Views

>Default Settings (check overwrite and replace)

>Layer Sets (select all and replace)

>Wall Definitions (if any new wall definitions needed)

(a few other steps I do with really, really, really old plans)

That should get you pretty close and will just need to make some adjustments as you go...but much faster than starting over.

thanks

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can also Use  EDIT > EDIT AREA > (Choose Option Type)  and  Paste into a New Plan which uses your Latest Template,

The most typical Warning is a different ceiling Elevation which can be ignored and then set as needed via the New Plan Defaults.

* I won't say it's the perfect method as anything NOT at Default will remain so..... but I think there will always be "repairs" needed

no matter the method but I use this method for Plans from Canvas as they are all done in X12 and I still find Plans especially

X12 cause issues like Random Lockups in X14.

M.

thanks.   Worked pretty good

2 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

thanks.   Worked pretty good

I was doing it the way Ben suggested, but switched to EDIT AREA , when I learned from Canvas that all their Plans are done in X12,

which at least for me seems to be a problem in X14.

Mick.