Glass Railings

Rustyvan

One would manually create custom symbols to emulate the specific railings in your posted photo using 3D solids and if a lot of railing is required you could also make a symbol that could be repeatedly copied for larger runs of such a railing system. One's main tools are one's intention and persistence along with study and practice.

DJP

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

There are several ways to do this in Chief.  But using the "Railing Tool" isn't one of them.  IOW, it requires some "Out of the Box" thinking. ;)  David's method is just one that I can think of - but not necessarily my 1st choice. :lol:

I disagree.  I think three railings or two and an invisible wall would do this just fine…. Just need to set two of them as partition.  One for the newells and one for the glass custom panel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I disagree.  I think three railings or two and an invisible wall would do this just fine…. Just need to set two of them as partition.  One for the newells and one for the glass custom panel.

Perhaps I should have said "Using the Railing Tool" alone isn't one of them.   Depending on the Wall Definition the offset is definitely possible.  However, the Offset Newels extending below the floor level would need to be handled another way.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Perhaps I should have said "Using the Railing Tool" alone isn't one of them.   Depending on the Wall Definition the offset is definitely possible.  However, the Offset Newels extending below the floor level would need to be handled another way.

Railing tool alone, invisible, just posts, just glass all railings. 5 minutes so not exactly what he is looking for but it can be done.

image.thumb.png.051672a242c1b8fe4f691a2a7b8ad7b6.png

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Ryan,

How did you get the posts and the glass for that matter to go below the floor?  I've not been able to find anything in the railing dbx that allows that to happen.

Not sure what Ryan and Rob did above but the old method was..... in Elevation to turn the railing off in the Wall's DBX temporarily, drag bottom down the desired distance and then turn the Railing back on .

Here is an old post of "how to"

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/17243-railings/?do=findComment&comment=144845

M.

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Ryan,

How did you get the posts and the glass for that matter to go below the floor?  I've not been able to find anything in the railing dbx that allows that to happen.

Open to below room outside of the invisible railing with the floor set to the depth you want the posts to go below the adjacent floor (12" lower in this example).  You have to set your newel height to the different height as well.

I stand by my original statement.  There's no way to do this without jumping thru hoops.

Chief should make it possible to do this just by adjusting values in the Railing Wall dbx. 

All this switching from a railing to a standard wall, then dragging down in 3D, fiddling with the "Generate on Low Platform", switching back to a Railing, etc is NOT wonderful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I stand by my original statement.  There's no way to do this without jumping thru hoops.

Chief should make it possible to do this just by adjusting values in the Railing Wall dbx. 

All this switching from a railing to a standard wall, then dragging down in 3D, fiddling with the "Generate on Low Platform", switching back to a Railing, etc is NOT wonderful.

I don't think anyone, at least not me, was arguing the above points and it is unfortunate that we are still dealing with this, as I see when searching early for the how to link I was in a thread in 2014 about how to do this....

And there are a few different ways as Ryan and other's have mentioned depending on circumstance but lately as a Client has been spec-ing Keutha Ithaca Railings, which needs 3 different Newels ( Corner, Mid, End ) I have been placing them Manually and using the Straight Deck Edge and a No Room Definition Wall to do the Panels in Glass or Cable as in the Pic below on the current Project.

image.thumb.png.76dc60e1f50b290bca21458473581910.png

• 3 weeks later...