Creating Bump and Normal texture maps

jtcapa1

There are many threads here that brush through this process in Photoshop, but not in much detail.

Can anybody provide a more step by step process?

I think I puzzled it out myself by using the tool "Filter" and "3d",  But the first time I tried it told me to turn on my graphics processor, which I guess was off by default.

It took me a while to find that setting in PS.

I'm just not clear on the various option settings for "Generate Bump Map".  So I just used the default setting and got reasonable results.

I was trying to get a better looking Board & Batten siding than those I could find in CA, so I took a decent image off Google and generated a much better result in Standard View.  PBR tends to show a bright line where the shadows are.

I'm looking for feedback.

3dB&Bsiding.jpg

Bump Map.jpg

Normal Map.jpg

Board_Batten_1.jpg

You might want to take a look at this thread:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21560-custom-material-generation-with-substance-player/

I know that you can use substance player to generate your own textures along with all of the associated maps.  It works with things like tiles, woods, and fabrics but I don't know if you can use it to do a board and batten texture.  If it doesn't, maybe you could make a request for it to do that because it seems like Dustin has been responsive to people's requests.

The other thing to consider is using actual geometry for the board and batten siding.  I saw someone talking about using wall material regions but they complained about it slowing down the plan.  I also heard of someone using a wall framing layer but I don't know how that worked out.  There might be other techniques that would work as well but might have different problems.

2 hours ago, jtcapa1 said:

I'm looking for feedback.

I could never get a good looking B&B via just regular PBR... there are people on here who are just amazing, IMO, on their quality though.  I resorted of doing B&B just with a material region, and copy/move.  The good thing about MR's, you don't have to trim around doors, windows, etc.. 

batten.png

• Upvote 1

I prefer the Material Region approach to board & batten.

You can use Chief's B&B as a starting point. Drag a MR

over the first batten on one end of the wall. Use the DBX

to adjust the MR to your liking. Then use the Multiple Copy

tool to drag the MR across the wall. There you have it, real

board & batten, easy peasy and much more believable in

renderings.

196934285_BB.thumb.png.3ea712fc9dd60d70ed5a3c947327cfc5.png