Lighting Turns Off/On Seemingly With Random Changes

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by Ryan-M,

I've seen this many time but have never understood why the lighting changes with some changes then back again. In this case it's a window changes that turned lighting off/down then turned it back on again. It can be seen in the video below @ around 6 seconds then back off again around 35 seconds in.  Any clues out there?

When using automatic lighting, Chief will re-evaluate what lights are turned on each time the model is rebuilt.

Chief will also turn off the sun light, if shadows are turned off, when your camera is inside a room.

In this case the "room" is outside, and it would be reasonable to make the argument that we shouldn't turn off the sun in this case.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan-M said:

When using automatic lighting, Chief will re-evaluate what lights are turned on each time the model is rebuilt.

Chief will also turn off the sun light, if shadows are turned off, when your camera is inside a room.

In this case the "room" is outside, and it would be reasonable to make the argument that we shouldn't turn off the sun in this case.

Thanks Ryan, but the on, then off, then on, then off behavior is a bit disconcerting. Is there a simple fix? F5 does not seem to work or is there a setting I might change? Thanks again.

• Solution

If you turn shadows on the sun will remain on and the change will be less drastic.  There will still be some change because we place a default light in rooms that don't have any lights in them, and that will turn on when your camera is determined to be inside that room.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan-M said:

If you turn shadows on the sun will remain on and the change will be less drastic.  There will still be some change because we place a default light in rooms that don't have any lights in them, and that will turn on when your camera is determined to be inside that room.

Shadows helped a lot and I also put a couple of very bright lights out on the deck. Thanks VERY much for the help!!

Chief has always worked this way.  When you move a camera between rooms, the program changes the lighting but it won't update until you do something to force it (like editing the window).  This can be handy if you are trying to view a small room like a bathroom and need to back the camera up to see it but don't want the lighting to change.  If you were to tile your camera view and plan view, you could see how the camera goes in and out of your deck room. 

Usually F5 will fix the lighting so I don't know why this is not working for you.  You could also do a rebuild 3d but this seems like a sledge hammer solution.

I also don't understand why the deck room lighting is not the same as the outside lighting.  My guess is that your "deck" room is not really a deck and is being treated like an interior room instead.

I suppose you could also set up a light set that has all of the lights turned on but this seems like more trouble than it would be worth to me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DBCooper said:

My guess is that your "deck" room is not really a deck and is being treated like an interior room instead.

I suppose you could also set up a light set that has all of the lights turned on but this seems like more trouble than it would be worth to me.

Good guess, and this is the case as 'decks' aren't always the best room def for me and my limited skill set. I turned the shadows on and set up some bright 3D lights in the deck room, that isn't really a deck, and it's behaving quite well now . Thank you.