Timber Framed Roof Structure with SIP panels

KacyRSC

I am in the process of redesigning a Timber frame that burnt down, and have hit a wall with the roof design in Chief Architect x14. 

By default, rafters obviously extend past the exterior wall to support the eave. In a timber frame, the SIP panel structure is what creates the eave. The timber rafters play no part in it, and I need them to stop inside the exterior wall. How do you force the rafters to end inside the exterior wall?

In the Build Roof DBX define the Roof Layers Surface as SIPs.

Then after building the Roof Planes and Framing, edit the Rafters (position and length as needed)

You can modify the lengths and/or the position of the Rafters.  Just make sure you turn off "Auto-Rebuild" for the Roof Framing.

26 minutes ago, KacyRSC said:

I am in the process of redesigning a Timber frame that burnt down, and have hit a wall with the roof design in Chief Architect x14. 

By default, rafters obviously extend past the exterior wall to support the eave. In a timber frame, the SIP panel structure is what creates the eave. The timber rafters play no part in it, and I need them to stop inside the exterior wall. How do you force the rafters to end inside the exterior wall?

Those are no longer rafters but roof beams in chiefs modeling world.  They will be placed manually.  The roof framing is the foam section of sips.

I haven't explored it fully - I was just playing around, but you may be able to get away with using a Rafter Tail and a negative Extend value.

This will enable you to stop the rafters anywhere you like relative to the subfascia and still use auto roofs and auto framing.

I just grabbed a simple rectangle from the library in this case - you may need to create a custom one.

There are 2 layers in the Roof Structure, 1 for the sip panel and 1 for the rafters.

856580180_ScreenShot2022-09-09at9_45_25am.thumb.jpg.200a32fbe7049fe7f301f686082cc087.jpg

In this pic I left the fascia and gutter on so you could see what is happening.

2145086598_ScreenShot2022-09-09at10_23_20am.thumb.jpg.edceba1df988a50e9bc46a87f54a0bb1.jpg

I've done a lot of timber frame with Chief. It works really well but you essentially need to create the timber work. 3D solids, 3D mouldings, soffits etc. The roof beam tool in manual roof framing is your friend. For the SIPs set the roof thickness and overhang as you want and then either turn off the rafters or make them the size of your SIPs panel. Once a few basic timbers are created copy paste, copy reflect, equal spacing etc. make it fairly easy. just watch your grain direction as you will probably need to copy and rotate materialGRM timber 002.pdfPorch Timber Revised braces 4appl 9721.pdflStair Timber 001.pdf

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, thank you friends. I've been working in the field for the past 3-4 weeks and haven't had a chance to get back to this forum. I will take all your excellent advice and fix the roof system.

Thanks again