SCHEDULE NOTES

mtldesigns

I use the schedule notes all the time, keeps things clean and organized, not to mention one place if I have to change a note.  I use them for my floor plan, electrical plan, and elevations.  Specifically elevations, I was wondering if there is a way to call up a note number instead of copy and pasting the balloon from another view?

20 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I was wondering if there is a way to call up a note number instead of copy and pasting the balloon from another view?

32 minutes ago, robdyck said:

There is not. I've often wished for the same thing.

Couple of solutions I could give. 
1.Save the note to your library..delete it when the project is done or keep it.
2.Copy the note text to your clipboard. Turn on clipboard history in Windows and use the Window key+V to drill down to your copy text. It will create the same note if it matches all column data of the schedule.

For this type of task, I've often created my own clipboard of sorts. I'll add all the notes to the note schedule cad detail and locate them all beside or above / below the note schedule.

I then keep that cad detail open in a different window and drag it to my other monitor. I then copy/paste notes from one window to another. 

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

I've often created my own clipboard of sorts. I'll add all the notes to the note schedule cad detail and locate them all beside or above / below the note schedule.

That might be a good work around.. 

I create the schedule in a cad detail as well, so your saying instead of creating that balloon (and note info) on a elevation view, for example, you create the balloon right next to the schedule so you can copy and paste.  

On 9/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, mtldesigns said:

I use the schedule notes all the time, keeps things clean and organized, not to mention one place if I have to change a note.  I use them for my floor plan, electrical plan, and elevations.  Specifically elevations, I was wondering if there is a way to call up a note number instead of copy and pasting the balloon from another view?

Interesting use case. I switched all my notes over to Rich Text Blocks to take advantage of the touted formatting/editing as in my area there are many CYA notes required for PE sign-off. I tried your method and it looks great, but limited in formatting. What am I missing?

Sorry about the late response, a circuit kept tripping in the electric panel here, the one that this pc and other rooms are on.  Troubleshooted it to a power strip of misc. items.  Don't know what caused that to fail, but at least I am up and running again. 

On 9/6/2022 at 7:50 PM, Renerabbitt said:

What "balloon" are you referring to, can you post a reference image

I call what's highlighted in yellow the balloon.  I don't know if that's the correct term here on Chief, but that what I've called it on other software.

12 hours ago, PMMully said:

What am I missing

You have an example Patrick of what yours looks like?

note and balloon .png

note and balloon 1.png

28 minutes ago, PMMully said:

"short ones"

Gotcha..  I do show these kind of notes as well,   I guess my "balloons and legend" are more in line with a bill of material kinda thing.  Just got tired of leaders and text describing lap siding for example.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Gotcha..  I do show these kind of notes as well,   I guess my "balloons and legend" are more in line with a bill of material kinda thing.  Just got tired of leaders and text describing lap siding for example.

Perfect :) Generic stuff in Rich Text blocks, Notes schedule for plan specific stuff (repeatable across the plan) - less clutter, save time. Leaders only for very specific stuff to a page.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I guess my "balloons and legend" are more in line with a bill of material kinda thing.  Just got tired of leaders and text describing lap siding for example.

For exteriors, I note things similar to you Michael, with one exception. I place all notes in a line across the top and/or left of the elevation view. It can make it much easier for plan readers to identify all the notes and can help ensure none are overlooked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robdyck said:

top and/or left of the elevation view.

It funny you should mention this, 99% of the time that is where I put it also.  But this house is so long, that the side view takes up a the whole page, and this an Arch E size too. That the bottom right corner is where the legend fit.  Plus, anal me I center my main elev. views with the page....

15 hours ago, PMMully said:

less clutter, save time. Leaders only for very specific stuff to a page.

Exactly.. and that's why you got a upvote!  :-)  

note and balloon 2.png

I saw some notes on some commercial plans where they put the note and then a line with a filled circle at the end which pointed to the item to note, and then lined up the note boxes.I thought it looked pretty good. I was playing around with something similar in CA and it worked out alright, but almost have to use no fill to see the lines. I still have these sitting in my elevation on my template plan

image.png.b93157d9e754d3fa413467353dd25bb3.png

and then the schedule in the bottom corner

image.png.378efc41e4d137c49fc1a15f1cee1613.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

That's a great looking elevation page! 

Thank you Robert, coming from a pro like you, means a lot!  The whole house is gorgeous IMO.

8 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

but almost have to use no fill to see the lines

I did play with the edge and pattern line color and weights and that helped a lot.. also did things like the vertical lines (heavier line weight) from the ridges with pitch market on both sides to point per say to not have leaders over the dark shingles.

EXTERIOR-1 ISO 9092022.jpg

EXTERIOR-2 ISO 9092022.jpg

• Like 1