Molding at cathedral ceiling

Geyatautsilvsgi

Quick question. Has anyone been able to have the crown molding follow the angle of a cathedral ceiling? I am not talking about a soffit but the crown molding only. I've not seen anything in the knowledge base or in the forum here yet so if anyone has done this I'd like to know how it was accomplished. Thanks.

JGillette

51 minutes ago, solver said:

Is there a setting that makes the molding follow the angle of a cathedral ceiling?

Nope, to do that you need a 3D molding line. One problem being you can't directly convert a room molding line to a 3D polyline. I don't do well trying to edit 3D molding lines.

When I have had to do something like this for pediments I have used a regular rectangular molding line, set lengths then converted to a symbol.

Just tried something like that here. Room molding polyline, moved away from room, changed the length, converted to a symbol, rotated that. Still not truly correct and takes a lot of fussing to locate all so they look OK.

image.thumb.png.0d4da1b9aff66eb159b75d73ec25ce86.png

Thanks for making that clarification Mark. I should have placed that in the response.   

A molding poly-line is entirely different species of molding than a room generated molding. 

On exterior frieze boards (with a square cut rafter), the roof slope option is a really great tool.  

One would have to make a manual molding to get the same rotation result on the interiors. 

BTW... that's a pretty neat method. 

20 hours ago, Geyatautsilvsgi said:

Has anyone been able to have the crown molding follow the angle of a cathedral ceiling?

This needs to be done manually. It is quick and simple to do.

1. Take a section view looking at the rake wall through the vaulted ceiling.
  2. In the library browser, locate the correct crown molding profile.
  3. Click on it once and the molding tools will be available in the tool palette.
  4. Select 3d Molding line and draw a line on the wall.
  5. Open the molding line and check "To Top".
  6. Then drag the ends of the molding line snapping to the cross section lines generated by the ceiling surface.

The crown molding at the rake will not be able to miter to a matching crown molding that is level so you may need a plinth block to clean up the connection at the bottom corner.