Sliding glass door: Identically sized units one L one R numbered same on schedule

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by rgardner,

Ordinary sliding glass door.  Shouldn't one with fixed panel right be numbered differently than one with fixed panel left?  

They are both given schedule callout W01 in my window schedule.  The window salesmen is attentive and professional and quotes one W01 left and one W01 right.  There is a 50 percent chance the builder will install them wrong, no matter how I annotate the drawings.  I'll bet on wrong.

How can I control this so they get separate callouts?

Screenshot 2022-09-03 094637.jpg

• Upvote 1

I label one a left and the other a right. 

I agree that the program should see them as different objects.  The program treats swing doors the same; no distinction regardless of swing.  It's a disconnect for sure but local practices for calling out interior door swing varies.  IMO, exterior doors should transfer the swing to the label.

Casement windows show the DESCRIPTION correctly but not the label.  I manually label them with a LH or RH,  but would love the swing to be included with the label.

• Solution
50 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Ordinary sliding glass door.  Shouldn't one with fixed panel right be numbered differently than one with fixed panel left?  

They are both given schedule callout W01 in my window schedule.  The window salesmen is attentive and professional and quotes one W01 left and one W01 right.  There is a 50 percent chance the builder will install them wrong, no matter how I annotate the drawings.  I'll bet on wrong.

How can I control this so they get separate callouts?

Screenshot 2022-09-03 094637.jpg

Find the schedule column that reports the difference or create a custom field set to slide direction and add that info to those two doors.  It will number them separately.

btw @GeneDavis I will be in Naples next weekend.

If all of the info in the columns match, then the doors will be grouped together.  If you don't want them grouped, you have to add a column that shows that they are different (and previews won't count).  Try adding the size, hinge side, a custom label, or a comment column.

According to the program help:

Columns and Quantity
It is important to remember that by default, the number of columns you choose to include in a schedule influences the number of separate line items that will be listed in the schedule.
For example, if you have three 30” wide doors and do not include the Size and Description columns, the three doors will be listed in the same line item - even if one is a hinged door, one a slider and one a pocket door.
If you prefer, you can uncheck Group Similar Objects in the Schedule Specification dialog to place every object in its own row, regardless of any shared attributes. See General Panel.

Note: The object preview columns do not affect whether or not objects are grouped in the same line.

schedule grouping.png

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

If you prefer, you can uncheck Group Similar Objects in the Schedule Specification dialog to place every object in its own row, regardless of any shared attributes. See General Panel.

This is what I do, so there are no errors from the Window/Door Companies, like Qty. Swing etc and each has it own Sch. No# etc which also makes questions via Phone or Email easier if needed.

Mick.

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

If all of the info in the columns match, then the doors will be grouped together.  If you don't want them grouped, you have to add a column that shows that they are different (and previews won't count).  Try adding the size, hinge side, a custom label, or a comment column.

According to the program help:

schedule grouping.png

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This is what I do, so there are no errors from the Window/Door Companies, like Qty. Swing etc and each has it own Sch. No# etc which also makes questions via Phone or Email easier if needed.

Mick.

Although there are some benefits to doing this I have had issues with several window companies adapting this to their window orders.  Marvin and Pella being two of the ones that refused to have different numbers for identical windows.  This honestly would be my preferred although in some of these bigger houses the window schedule gets really long...  But I have had so much push back that I continue to keep the similar ones checked and when I need to differentiate I will either have a comment on that door (even using a macro for swing or hinge, etc.) so as to separate the minor differences.

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

Although there are some benefits to doing this I have had issues with several window companies adapting this to their window orders.  Marvin and Pella being two of the ones that refused to have different numbers for identical windows.  This honestly would be my preferred although in some of these bigger houses the window schedule gets really long...  But I have had so much push back that I continue to keep the similar ones checked and when I need to differentiate I will either have a comment on that door (even using a macro for swing or hinge, etc.) so as to separate the minor differences.

That makes sense I guess for your situation, unfortunately I've had issues in the past like only getting 1 of a particular window rather than the 3 in the Schedule which the "Salesman" didn't notice ...... and guess who eats the cost since the Order was Confirmed by the Builder and quantities wasn't noticed on the Order. I'd probably be finding a way in Chief with extra Columns or a custom Column perhaps to keep them all separate somehow.

M.

• 2 weeks later...