stupid question about using two computers with one license

deaconjj

I've always used Chief only from a laptop. I'm about to buy a more powerful desktop for my office. I understand I can install Chief on two devices (my laptop and new desktop).  Am I going to need to de-activate my desktop everytime after working on it if I want to work on my laptop from home? Can I switch licenses from my laptop if I left it open on my desktop at the office? It sounds like it could be a real PITA. Can anyone advise on this? Thanks!

I prefer using the USB hardware key but CA stopped offering them with X9

I still do my projects using X9 

I do have X10 thru X14 but haven't had a need to use them yet

I am retired and my former partner/friend has X9 thru X14 also

someday I may have to forgo the hardware lock and X9 and move my projects forward

in the early days of the software lock it required that you do a "dance" by turning off the lock on PC A

then turning it on for PC B and then reversing the process when you got back to PC A

now you can do it wherever you have internet connection 

but what if you don't have internet at your destination ?

there have also been a few times when CA's server was offline for days

back when the software lock was offered I suggested that each PC could buy time like a "taxi" meter

when the time declined we could download more time from CA (free with SSA) and not need to do the dance

or be able to work if the internet was not available

I have stayed at hotels with incredibly slow internet

I told one hotel at checkout that very slow was more frustrating than having no internet at all

Lew

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

it still works without internet, it gives you something like 15 days to connect

Chief will work for 2 weeks or something without "phoning home" ( security ) , I am not sure how you'd swap computer activation with out it though, I've run into the Time Limit lockout myself a couple of time working remotely, even Home Designer Pro has  ( or had then ) this same restriction I found.

M.

• Upvote 1