Roof Belt Fascia and Soffit Issue

mprovost129

Ever since I upgraded to X14 I've had an issue where the trim doesn't populate on some of my roofs / roof belts. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe I should try reinstalling X14? These roofs were copied from the adjacent roof that has the trim and has the same properties. It just makes no sense. I sent a request to support, and they couldn't recreate it at the time.

image.thumb.png.6969d76c409079901dcb7969120f7e2e.png

220804 - Krupa Residence - Lot 8C The Preserve at Brook St. Rehoboth, MA.zip

Don't bother reinstalling.

Have you forced a roof rebuild?

Are the roof planes joined together properly?  If there's a slight misalignment, you'll see odd behavior.

I didn't look at your file but is the camera cut too close to the bay?

4 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I downloaded your "file" and it would not open in X14 because you attached it while the plan file was actively open in Chief= Zero Kb=no good, try again but close Chief FIRST before attaching the plan file here a CT.

DJP

Thanks, I've re-uploaded the file.

220804 - Krupa Residence - Lot 8C The Preserve at Brook St. Rehoboth, MA.zip

15 minutes ago, MoeGia said:

Don't bother reinstalling.

Have you forced a roof rebuild?

Are the roof planes joined together properly?  If there's a slight misalignment, you'll see odd behavior.

I didn't look at your file but is the camera cut too close to the bay?

Yes I've tried rebuilding. I've checked all the alignments. It's happened for months. Originally I thought it was a glitch with the software. If nobody else has this issue though, then it's got to be the install or my settings.

Just now, DavidJPotter said:

On inspection I SEE NO missing trim, it looks great to me but obviously, there is something missing for you. Can you be a little more specific, please?

DJP

DJP I've drawn in the trim using polylines. Remove the polyline trim and see if it's there.

27 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I deleted all of your molding polylines and used a combination of "Auto Roof Full Return" along with manual roofs over just the bay...

DJP

Untitled 2.jpg

220804 - Krupa Residence - Lot 8C The Preserve at Brook St. Rehoboth, MA.zip 10.12 MB · 0 downloads

Can you show me the settings you used? I tried to recreate it, but can't seem to get it right.

I didn't have these issues before X14. There must be some settings withing the walls/roofs that were updated. Maybe something added in?

20 minutes ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Auto build roofs are quick and easy.

ct1.thumb.png.4562b7236bf406ef8550694407ff1a67.png

Thanks. The person that I learned from didn't like using the auto roofs, so I never took the time to learn them. I will look into it.

9 minutes ago, mprovost129 said:

Thanks. The person that I learned from didn't like using the auto roofs, so I never took the time to learn them. I will look into it.

It is always well worth starting with Auto Roofs , they will get you there 65-95% of the way , with all the correct overhangs, baseline heights etc, but with todays' Home designs , there are always conditions Chief can't handle Auto ,  so there is inevitably some cleanup to do afterwards.

M.

3 hours ago, mprovost129 said:

Can you show me the settings you used? I tried to recreate it, but can't seem to get it right.

Initially, I simply checked "Roof Tab - Auto Roof Return - Full" on the long wall and then manually added the roof returns on the bay window walls. Doing it that was lessons the chances of bad manual roof connections. Doing it all manual as you have seen, often makes simple tasks too complicated. I agree with Eric in that Auto Roofs for this house would have been easier to do. To learn more about auto Roof settings go to the Build Roof dialog - Roof Styles Tab for more data.

I almost always start a roof system automatically and then just manually edit what it got wrong. The product is the thing, not how it was created.

DJP

22 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Initially, I simply checked "Roof Tab - Auto Roof Return - Full" on the long wall and then manually added the roof returns on the bay window walls. Doing it that was lessons the chances of bad manual roof connections. Doing it all manual as you have seen, often makes simple tasks too complicated. I agree with Eric in that Auto Roofs for this house would have been easier to do. To learn more about auto Roof settings go to the Build Roof dialog - Roof Styles Tab for more data.

I almost always start a roof system automatically and then just manually edit what it got wrong. The product is the thing, not how it was created.

DJP

Thanks DJP. I appreciate the help. 

I've been using Chief for a couple of years. I know enough to get by, but still have lots to learn and tinker with.