Best Way For DWG Drawings

KristjanM

Just had to send my first copies of my drawings to the structural engineer in dwg format. The least onerous way I could see to do this was export each drawing sheet from layout but then I had to open each dwg file and scale them up by a factor of 48. The other option was to play with my plan views and export from there but this seemed to be more work. I regularly have to provide dwg files. How do other people handle this. Chief doesn't seem very freindly with regard to this task.

Since layouts are in paper space, and you could have multiple views using different scales, this will probably not work out very well.  I would send them actual plan views exported as a DWG file instead.  I would set up a new layer set showing only what I want to export to the engineer.  I would switch to this layer set and export each floor as a separate DWG file.  

• Downvote 1

Why are you scaling it?  (as mentioned, make a layer set with only those layers needed by engineer)  Send it to him 1:1,   in plan view you are at 1:1 as he should be when opening the dwg.  Two ways you can do it, Go to the view you want him to see, export as dwg. Name the dwg file based on the view as if you were sending to layout.  Or use the Cad Detail from View tool of each view he needs to see and export that as dwg.  Repeat this with all the views he needs regardless the method you use.  You'll then him all the created DWG's,  He then can then import each view in to one DWG and align as needed. (just like he would draw it in AC.   Or he can open the plan view and Xref all other views....Keep in mind, he draws at 1:1 as we do....if he needs to add text or dims, hell set his scale to the scale required in paper space. (Annotative text and dims) then he creates view-ports in paper space and scales his View-ports in Paper space as we do in layout. Hope that makes sense.

I'm scaling it to make it 1:1 since I exported from layout. I chose to export from layout because the views are cropped to what I want to show. Quite often I have things outside the layout crop which I can't turn off using layer sets. I'm quite familiar with Autocad so understand what the engineer needs. This seemed to be the easiest method for me. Some people like apples, some like oranges.

Suggestion: 

I'm a big fan of One on One Training through Chief.  Call up their training desk and ask to book an hour with one of their trainers to help you find a solution.  They know this program inside and out and the time spent with them will be well worth it.  :) 

• Upvote 1