Five-Sided Cabinet...?

HarrisReno

Is it crazy to ask if a five-sided cabinet is possible? I'm attaching an image of a floor plan with my conundrum corner circled. Am I supposed to use an angled cabinet instead...? I know that I will have my cabinet maker build a five-sided cabinet, so I would like to put that in the plan. 

Thoughts, ideas, criticism... always welcome. :)

Forum01.jpg

AllenDave-KitchenPlan.plan

Well technically a corner cabinet can be 5 or even 6 sides, but I don't think that will help you.

The short answer is no, but there are a number of workarounds depending on what you want it to look like.  It also depends on what you want to do on the other side.  The picture below shows how two cabs will auto join if the back corners touch.  I filled in the space using an angled front cabinet but the results are not that great.  Might get better results by building a 1" deep cabinet for the face you want, a 3/4" wide cabinet for the side you want, and then covering it with a custom counter.

You might also want to add a +1 to this suggestion:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/36178-custom-shaped-cabinet-boxes/

funky corner cab.png

3 hours ago, HarrisReno said:

I know that I will have my cabinet maker build a five-sided cabinet

In this case I'd just do it with Notes and perhaps a detail if needed?  as in plan view (2) 24" cabinets will fit , with a Corner hidden in the wall.

( at least that's where I think you want the 5 sided cabinet ? )

image.thumb.png.87343d905c497a4cb1d16a57ee62f290.png image.thumb.png.d5c53d4f84ca0681e4aa0b37b499de77.png image.thumb.png.12b5e9602c7ffb00cbfecdba0a76c76e.png

Mick.

• Upvote 1

Wow! Thank you! All three replies offered insight that is going to be helpful! I greatly appreciate it!

20 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You might also want to add a +1 to this suggestion:

@DBCooperI am so green on using the forum, I'm not sure what you mean by adding a +1. I did read that string, and it was VERY helpful, too! 

@DavidJPotter I can't thank you enough for the video! It was entertaining AND gave me a perspective I hadn't thought of. 

@Kbird1 Yes! That is the five-sided cabinet I was trying to achieve! Thank you for showing me the end result - it makes me question if I really want to do that! Haha! 

Thanks a bunch to all!

- Wendy

According to Chief, the more people that support a suggestion, the more likely that it will get worked on.  Adding a "+1" to a suggestion is one way of doing that.  Adding more info explaining why you want it also helps.  Making your own suggestion also works (especially if you want something slightly different than what others are asking for).