X14 Rendering Error & Crash - HELP!

SamPWB

Recently purchased a new (to me) laptop and having issued when looking at camera views. Program will give me the above error and close down.

RenderingPipeline.cpp(186): Error #272032750

"An internal rendering error has occurred and the program will terminate: Device Removed"

08/27/2022 02:19:06 PM

Build: 24.2.2.1 Windows 64-bit

Specs: 

Device    MSI Raider GE76 12UGS - NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti
Processor    12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H   2.70 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 v21H2

Best to call Support on Monday as there are no definitive fixes for this Issue.

Draw a simple Test House Plan from the Chief supplied Residential Template and see if the Issue is for all plans or perhaps specific to a plan.

* for me this tends to happen in Plans brought forward from earlier versions.....

And it wouldn't hurt to download the latest Nvidia Studio Driver if you aren't on it already.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/192969/en-us/

Mick.

the Issue has been around for about a year at least , starting in X13 when we got the new Astral 3D Engine. Unfortunately it is very hard to reproduce and some don't have the Issue, but searching Device Removed here on the Forum will find plenty of reports , I don't think it anything to do with your new laptop per se.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/search/?q=Device Removed&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

On of the longer threads is this one , if you like to read more about what others have tried....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/32694-x13-internal-rendering-error-crash/?tab=comments#comment-256615

M.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:10 PM, DBCooper said:

This article makes the most sense especially in the camera settings section:

I have been concerned about upgrading to a desktop with a top tier GPU to no avail since others with 3080 cards are still experiencing issues. Even though I know my 16GB laptop w/Nvidia T1000 is way underpowered. 

On the Camera panel of the Camera Defaults dialog that opens, make the following changes:

• Remove the check next to Show Shadows.
  • Remove the check next to Reflections.
  • Remove the check next to Bloom.
  • Remove the check next to Edge Smoothing when Idle.
  • Set Ambient Occlusion to 0%.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, TimelessJohn said:

This article makes the most sense especially in the camera settings section:

I have been concerned about upgrading to a desktop with a top tier GPU to no avail since others with 3080 cards are still experiencing issues. Even though I know my 16GB laptop w/Nvidia T1000 is way underpowered. 

On the Camera panel of the Camera Defaults dialog that opens, make the following changes:

• Remove the check next to Show Shadows.
  • Remove the check next to Reflections.
  • Remove the check next to Bloom.
  • Remove the check next to Edge Smoothing when Idle.
  • Set Ambient Occlusion to 0%.

This seemed to do the trick. Thank you!

Pretty disappointing that a laptop with the recommended specs can't run the program right.

Pretty disappointing that a laptop with the recommended specs can't run the program right.

Did you read the support article? 

You probably don't need to turn off all of those settings.  In the support article, they only recommend turning off those settings if nothing else works and then turning them back on one at a time to see which setting solved your problems.  You have a good card and it should be able to run chief without turning everything off.  My guess is that your problem is that you are not using the right drivers. 

If you can't figure it out, then you should probably contact tech support for more help.

1 hour ago, SamPWB said:

This seemed to do the trick. Thank you!

looks like a nice high end laptop and should have no issues running Chief, did you talk to Support?

Have you googled around for others with that model having issues?, maybe the issue isn't Chief or are all other 3D programs running fine?

M.

• 3 months later...

This issue is still not resolved.

I am using  24.3.0.84 on win 11 64bit

Having same issue as everyone else. Also only happen when I want to see 3D camera view.

Just for CA team benefit, just know this issue happens multiple times a day (around once per hour on average). So when you say you cannot replicate it easily... I am wondering how hard you have really tried...

What I can see happen is an exception is raised - by your cpp class, probably due to an error code returned by the driver. 

I am telling you this because I am software developer myself, and write c++ fat client app all the time, and this crash is your fault 100%, here is why, your code gets the error code return and decide to throw the exception, or you did not catch the exception and handled that exception correctly the way your code is supposed to. 

When this exception is caught - your code, like all other piece of software in the world, is supposed to take a "stack dump" and send it back to you for further analysis. Add a little popup box asking the user for their permission before sending the error report file and you are good to go.

Then you would know what causes the issue and have a good chance of fixing it. This is basic software design knowledge. Come on... Or maybe this is not how the world works in "Coeur d'Alene, ID" :) which by the way is a really cool name for a town.

I have experienced this issue for many weeks now, once you use a complex plan then the issue starts to happen more frequently. I did not know or think about reporting it until now. 

I just did a google search and found tons of folks complaining which led me here. 

Now that I know you have this forum, I'll come back here with more info if I find anything useful moving forward. 

Fred

• Downvote 2

And here we go again, 

Exception just happened again, 

Message is:

RenderingPipeline.cpp(186): Error #272032750

"An internal rendering error has occurred and the program will terminate: Device Removed"

01/04/2023 04:20:48 PM

Build: 24.3.0.84 Windows 64-bit

I seem to get that exception when I leave the camera open for a few minutes and then get back to that view.

Here is another code change you could try if you catch the exception at the right place in the code: 

- catch the exception and do the error reporting discussed in previous message.

- kill that camera view

- cleanup the state of the graphic card (free memory, etc..)

- then reopen a new camera view with the same parameters - this would make it much less troublesome to the user. There would be a delay but that is it.

Other piece of info you might find useful. I have this error with both graphic cards, the basic card "Intel UHD 630", and the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with MaxQ Design". And the frequency of the error is similar, the better graphic card, the GTX 1050 crashes more often than the basic "intel 630".  

I just don't think it is a card issue, maybe a driver issue perhaps. The GTX 1050 can run games that are for more demanding than a design rendering software will ever be, which is a good thing.

I also turned off the rendering for "Show Shadows" reflections, etc... Also did not make a difference thus far.

Last piece of info, I find that around 50% of the time, after your software crashes, then windows 11 will also crash within a few minutes, you know "blue screen of death" style. It is pretty brutal. I am guessing here, but it looks like the process did not clean the graphic card state properly.

All Home Designer 2022 error log show the following:

AppName Home Designer Suite 2022.exe
    AppVersion 23.4.1.8
    ModuleName ucrtbase.dll
    ModuleVersion 10.0.22621.608
    ModuleTimeStamp f5fc15a3
    ExceptionCode c0000409
    FaultingOffset 000000000007f61e
    AppPath C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 2022\Home Designer Suite 2022.exe
    ModulePath C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

All Home Designer 2023 error log show the following:

AppName Home Designer Suite 2023.exe
    AppVersion 24.3.0.84
    ModuleName ucrtbase.dll
    ModuleVersion 10.0.22621.608
    ModuleTimeStamp f5fc15a3
    ExceptionCode c0000409
    FaultingOffset 000000000007f61e
    ProcessId 0x56ac
    ProcessCreationTime 0x1d92061a1e919a4
    AppPath C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 2023\Home Designer Suite 2023.exe
    ModulePath C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

and rarely the error for 2023 is for module nvoglv64.dll located

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_727392c7e446e087\nvoglv64.dll

Hope this helps, 

Fred

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, FredBell said:

Just for CA team benefit, just know this issue happens multiple times a day (around once per hour on average). So when you say you cannot replicate it easily... I am wondering how hard you have really tried...

GPU issues like this often involve very specific hardware/software combinations that are extremely difficult to reliably replicate. We can run tests all day on a Windows 11 machine with a GTX 1050, but the chance that it'll behave the same as your machine with your GTX 1050 is slim to none. It's frustrating for both us and our customers, but it's an unfortunate reality in the world of graphics programming.

1 hour ago, FredBell said:

What I can see happen is an exception is raised - by your cpp class, probably due to an error code returned by the driver. 

I am telling you this because I am software developer myself, and write c++ fat client app all the time, and this crash is your fault 100%, here is why, your code gets the error code return and decide to throw the exception, or you did not catch the exception and handled that exception correctly the way your code is supposed to. 

When this exception is caught - your code, like all other piece of software in the world, is supposed to take a "stack dump" and send it back to you for further analysis. Add a little popup box asking the user for their permission before sending the error report file and you are good to go.

We're well aware of these techniques and use them where appropriate. These "Device Removed" errors are a specific class of error that is nearly impossible to recover from without restarting the entire rendering subsystem, which is an extremely complicated operation. As far as reporting goes, our rendering team has found that even a full stack trace and all the diagnostic information we're able to glean from the GPU drivers is rarely enough to reliably diagnose this kind of issue.

49 minutes ago, FredBell said:

% of the time, after your software crashes, then windows 11 will also crash within a few minutes, you know "blue screen of death" style. It is pretty brutal. I am guessing here, but it looks like the process did not clean the graphic card state properly.

On a system with correctly functioning hardware and drivers, a userspace process should be completely unable to cause a blue-screen condition; the operating system is, by design, responsible for preventing any operations that would lead to one. Any case where an application can trigger such a condition is a driver or hardware problem. There may sometimes be a corresponding bug in the software that triggers the driver bug, but in many cases, the software isn't doing anything technically "wrong"; it just encounters a condition that the drivers were supposed to handle correctly but failed to do so. We've found that trying a variety of driver versions sometimes fixes these issues, but it's still a hit-or-miss process.

2 hours ago, FredBell said:

This issue is still not resolved.

I am using  24.3.0.84 on win 11 64bit

There are issues with Nvidia Drivers higher than Nvidia Driver 526.86 GR 

This is also talked about in this thread..........

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/37398-is-anyone-else-having-issues-with-a-graphics-card-warning/?tab=comments#comment-283262