Stuck - Need To Model An Hvac Wall Surround

scarfie

Go to solution Solved by scarfie,

Please help!

I'm trying to model an HVAC wall surround/corral. Homeowner needs visualization. I've had great luck modeling houses, additions, & decks, but this little project has stumped me.

I'm trying to create a 5' tall (from ground level) wall to surround the exterior HVAC equipment. The wall would be "L" shaped and attached to the house. I would like to model this with & without a gate (long side of the "L"). I have tried this both by creating exterior walls and fences, but cannot achieve the desired end results... can only achieve incomplete results. I could have hand drawn it by now.

Details:

1. Walls framed with 4x4 pressure treated posts & 2x4 pressure treated lumber. Bottom of wall would be 4" above ground level (obviously, 4x4 posts protrude down into ground).

2. OSB sheathing

3. Exterior wall material is lap siding

4. Interior wall material is 4x8 Hardie

5. I want to picture frame exterior walls with 1x6 boards (lap siding runs inside this)

6. Need a 1x8 cap board across the top of the wall.

7. Would like rendering to show 4" gap between ground and bottom of framed wall.

8. Not sure how to model the gate/door... is it a door? is it a fence gate? POA restrictions for this project require gate to have same characteristics as the wall (lap siding) so it blends in.

Can anyone provide direction to help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Or something like this:

post-191-0-86689600-1422135897_thumb.jpg

I think I would just use PL solids and/or geometric boxes to do this project.  Do you really need to worry about the framing with treated lumber if it gets covered up.  You can always detail how it will be done with a CAD detail. 

I used a deck railing/fence - panels - with the bottom railing raised 4" (above the terrain).  Then I had to cover the railing with PL solids for the 1x6 trim.  I also had to make a copy of the siding material and rotate it 90 degrees.  On the inside I again used PL solids to assign the interior material.  Probably a simpler/better way to do this ... I didn't put a lot of thought into what I am showing.

post-191-0-22620800-1422136885_thumb.jpg

I used the "Straight half wall" tool for the enclosure. Change the siding to whatever you like, put in a door, and then tuck into the wall 4x4 posts for the effect.

Note: when you build it, open the room dialog and remove "roof", "ceiling", "floor", "molding".

Then adjust your floor height in the structure tab

To "picture frame" it, add corner boards or P solids where needed.

Polish it up and your done!

Like Curt, was pretty painless/quick.