Tile Builder

baseja63

I am new to the Tile Builder, just started to play with it. My question is on the grout width specification ranging from 1 to 3. if I wanted to specify 1/16" width, is 1 the correct choice? Or am I interpreting it wrong.

Thanks

Yes, I understand. The majority of the time we are after the right look. However, we have a client now that wants layouts of tile patterns in a bathroom floor, walls and decorative niches to the point of precisely controlling beginning and ending tile cuts. In the past, I have done this in CAD staring with the outline of the area to be tiled, drawing up  the repeating pattern, and using CAD tools. Because this process is more labor intensive than creating and using a custom material in CA, I am interested in what Tile Builder can do.

Achilles Vassilicos

Patina Interior Design

https://patinainteriordesign.com

1 hour ago, baseja63 said:

Yes, I understand. The majority of the time we are after the right look. However, we have a client now that wants layouts of tile patterns in a bathroom floor, walls and decorative niches to the point of precisely controlling beginning and ending tile cuts. In the past, I have done this in CAD staring with the outline of the area to be tiled, drawing up  the repeating pattern, and using CAD tools. Because this process is more labor intensive than creating and using a custom material in CA, I am interested in what Tile Builder can do.

Achilles Vassilicos

Patina Interior Design

https://patinainteriordesign.com

Better off building your custom texture in photoshop where you can truly dimension everything

Renerabbitt

I have been able to build a precise texture in Chief as follows:

1. First use screen capture to grab the image texture of the material for a single tile, and create a material in CA with scale at "stretch to fit"

2. In CA, use CAD detail to create the precise repeating tile pattern using polylines. Here I can control grout width precisely.

3. Paste the polylines into a plan view or a cross section and create 3D solids at the desired thickness, including a separate solid for the grout

4. Apply the texture of the first material created on the tile solids and color the grout as needed.

5. Screen capture the new assembly and create a second and final material with scale known from the CAD detail.

This works well as a texture only material that can be viewed in only Standard Rendering mode. I would like to be  able to also view it in Vector Rendering mode.

I have been unable to figure out how to create a normal map, which I believe is needed. Here any suggestions are welcome.

Will Photoshop allow to create a normal map?

Thanks,

Achilles Vassilicos

Patina Interior Design

17 hours ago, baseja63 said:

....I would like to be  able to also view it in Vector Rendering mode.

I have been unable to figure out how to create a normal map, which I believe is needed. Here any suggestions are welcome.

Will Photoshop allow to create a normal map?

If I understand correctly what you're saying, it isn't a Normal Map that you need.  What you need is a proper Pattern.  Patterns are used to create the lines on any vector based views (Vector, Technical Illustration, and Line Drawing).  Textures are used for all other views.