Square Footage in Table on Layout Sheet

wnschoen

Does anyone have a trick or way to produce a Table on the Cover Sheet of the Layout that has all the various Floor SqFt?  I use this sheet as my cover, but have to manually enter and add up.  Probably no easy way other than manually doing it.  Just asking.

There is probably a way to create a macro, but I would rather have someone do it for me...  maybe a future update.

BH20 Template 2022_1.pdf

I've been wanting to do something similar, but I have not been able to figure out how to do a square footage table exactly how you've specified where you delineate between porch/garage/living square footages. The best I can do thus far is to use the Custom Schedule Tool and generate a square footage table per room. That's pretty easy to do.

Creating Custom Schedules (chiefarchitect.com)

I use an Excel spreadsheet for my project data. It does the math as I have it set up. Obviously you can set it up for your needs. I print to pdf and import the pdf to my layout sheet. The convenient feature...if I make any changes to the spreadsheet, I again print to pdf and the document in the spreadsheet is automatically updated (as it references the particular pdf file).

Project Data Worksheet.xlsx

I personally use custom macros and regularly teach that system to users as a for-hire consultant; however, we can also use custom schedules and custom schedule categories for this purpose as well.  I recently spelled out the basics in another thread here...

Here's an example more specific to this question though using Chief's Nashville plan as a basis...

12491773_pic1.thumb.jpg.6c25d0f1e8a16f9884bd9eb89a6be0ed.jpg1900600369_pic2.thumb.jpg.92a7dafa9d9533891f20f70ce82ca97b.jpg

Nashville Areas.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I personally use custom macros and regularly teach that system to users as a for-hire consultant; however, we can also use custom schedules and custom schedule categories for this purpose as well.  I recently spelled out the basics in another thread here...

Here's an example more specific to this question though using Chief's Nashville plan as a basis...

12491773_pic1.thumb.jpg.6c25d0f1e8a16f9884bd9eb89a6be0ed.jpg1900600369_pic2.thumb.jpg.92a7dafa9d9533891f20f70ce82ca97b.jpg

Nashville Areas.zip 1.84 MB · 8 downloads

Good tip Michael!

So, looking for a way to maybe automate this even further, is there a way to have room types set to report to schedules before the room is created? A default setting for a .plan template?

49 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

Good tip Michael!

So, looking for a way to maybe automate this even further, is there a way to have room types set to report to schedules before the room is created? A default setting for a .plan template?

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but Rooms will automatically report using the Schedule Category matching their Room Type.  This means YOU could automate the process by defining and assigning the room types to each room as you draw them so that they are always reporting to the correct schedule(s).  The key is to make sure that your schedules are set to report the correct room type(s) from the appropriate floor(s).

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but Rooms will automatically report using the Schedule Category matching their Room Type.  This means YOU could automate the process by defining and assigning the room types to each room as you draw them so that they are always reporting to the correct schedule(s). 

I'm wondering if there is a way to set a room type to report to a schedule(s) prior to drawing the room. That way it could be setup with in the template and you would just have to draw rooms, assign their room type, and they will automatically report to the schedule. Just cuts out that extra step of telling each room to report to the schedule as you set its room type once drawn.

I'm guessing that there isn't or it would show the Schedule option in the room type DBX in defaults.

image.thumb.png.3f3ed405260033a34dbe2ccb8b33cc3c.pngimage.thumb.png.2c6749e4d090dd081bdb180b028a8f23.png

Ethan,

If your 'room type' is set to report in the schedule dialog, you don't need to specify directly in the room type dialog.  In your template plan make sure your room schedule defaults are set to include all rooms you want.  As you label rooms, they should populate to the schedule.

From what I know there are three methods to figure areas.  

1.  The CA way:  In my opinion the CA way is not good because it is very difficult to cross check the areas......  and very time consuming to define which rooms are what type of rooms.....  and then how do you do total areas for FAR,  COVERAGE,  etc?  I just don't get it.  

2.  The Joe Carrick way....  I do not fully understand it,  but Perry likes it and so does Joe....  I guess it works.

3.  The Alaskan Son way.  Very easy to double check/verify that the areas are correct. His method works great for me.....  he charged me,  I paid his fee,  well worth the money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The original question also asked if you could manually enter and have them automatically add up.:OR EVEN ADD UP AUTOMATICALLY IF I MANUALLY ENTER???

That is probably the simplest macro implementation, in which you create a variable for each,  and then create a variable that adds them together. 

then you substitute the areas (see below ) from the room areas or the room label for the floor. Of course if you had multiple porches you would have to add them up first or preallocate a number of porches in the macro. The problem is one has to remember if you actually changed the number to match the plan. so best to use recognizable numbers as a default.

The next problem is do you actually want to show floor 2 if there is not one? then you either need multiple macros or build in logic to take care of the scenario.

And then there is the third problem, if you build a floor one but do not wish to report on it (i.e. basement development with a new window in which you need to show the elevation) you need a macro for just the basement. 

ie something like

macro name area_total

firstfloorconditioned=100

secondfloorconditioned=50

garage=25

totalconditioned=firstfloorconditioned+secondfloorconditioned

totalunderoof=garage+totalconditioned

printstring="Garage (sq ft): "+garage.to_s +"\nTotal (sq ft): "+ totalunderoof.to_s