Pole Barn Framing

dandrconcepts

Did you see this article?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01069/designing-a-traditional-pole-barn-structure.html

If that doesn't help, then you need to ask more specific questions about what you are having problems with.  

BTW, I think this would be much easier in X14 than in X12 because of the new framing tools they have added since then.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, dandrconcepts said:

Any one with some input would greatly be appreciated.

I've done a couple pole barn to homes now, what is it you need?  The link DB attached is a great starting point.  If your doing this from a kit, those plans are a great start too.  They usually have post sizes, spacings, spans, foundation details, etc.  Here in the panhandle, most houses are basically sitting on grade with a mono slab, at least with these barns, the post are anchored deep.. so to me more stout.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DBCooper said:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01069/designing-a-traditional-pole-barn-structure.html

If that doesn't help, then you need to ask more specific questions about what you are having problems with.  

BTW, I think this would be much easier in X14 than in X12 because of the new framing tools they have added since then.

Thank you for the link. I did see that article but must have missed some information that I needed. I also agree that X14 would be much easier. I bummed I cannot run that yet due to system requirements. I have new equipment coming soon so I can enjoy X14!! Thanks again

10 hours ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Help us by describing what you need help with, instead of asking for someone to write another article.

And see the Chief YouTube channel for a recent video.

Thank you for replying. I believe I am all set! 

57 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

I've done a couple pole barn to homes now, what is it you need?  The link DB attached is a great starting point.  If your doing this from a kit, those plans are a great start too.  They usually have post sizes, spacings, spans, foundation details, etc.  Here in the panhandle, most houses are basically sitting on grade with a mono slab, at least with these barns, the post are anchored deep.. so to me more stout.  

I'm all set, thank you for replying 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, DBCooper said:

I don't see how this post triggered a downvote either!

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I was totally joking. I didn't get it either so I gave you an upvote to cancel out the down! 

Man, you had me going and rereading what I put haha, thanks for the upvote. I guess some clown has nothing better to do today. Whatever.....Thanks Rob!

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I don't see how this post triggered a downvote either!

Yeah it absurd what some downvote for lately...use the Post Report button , I have to let the Mods know they need to look into this practice.....

3 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I modify the wall type for a pole barn and manually draw the trusses to look exactly like they are bought. I set up the roof to receive the purlins.

1773859498_render10.thumb.jpg.99108dae044f23386029ed197bbb62aa.jpg

Nice job, did you build the bar joist or is that modified Chief Truss?

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

Nice job, did you build the bar joist or is that modified Chief Truss?

To be honest, my CAD skills are better for manual things like trusses and done in Autocad and then brought over to chief. I have noticed though it seems to bog down the drawings when I do this. Maybe from all the truss openings. I worked with the owner on this since he is building it and he already had pics of the trusses he bought  so I made them match.