Plan View Specification dialogue box - never save, does it work for you?

CARMELHILL

This has always bugged me so I figured I would ask the GODS.

This might just be me, but the Plan View Specification dialogue box, General tab, Save Options, Never Save, seems pretty useless to me.

If I have all my layers set up correctly. I open a plan view, for giggles here lets say I open a roof plan. I want to take some rafter span measurements, so I turn on the layers for all my walls. I take my measurements. NOW, if I have "Never Save" clicked, when I close the view shouldn't the layers NOT CHANGE in the saved plan view......I mean not save, I mean not change from my perfectly set up layers? This option has never worked for me. I really want this one thing to work right.

Sure, I could click "Prompt to Save" which works correctly, and just say no when it prompts me to save. But why doesn't Never Save not work correctly?

Or do the GODS just hate me?

Inkednever save.jpg

Saved plan views keep track of the "layer set".  They don't keep track of any individual layer settings.  So in Eric's video, you can see how "never save" will not prompt you or save the layer set change he made.   

My guess is that you are turning individual layers on/off and expecting this to be temporary.  The program doesn't work that way.  I think what you want is maybe something more like this:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25960-extend-new-saved-plan-view-save-options-funcionality-to-layer-sets/

• Upvote 1

From Help:

Save OptionsThese settings control how or whether changes to the current view’s attributes are saved when those changes are made outside this dialog. Not available for unsaved views. See Saved Views.

• When Prompt to Save is selected, the program will ask whether you want to save any unsaved changes to the view when you close it.
  • When Always Save is selected, any changes that you make to the view’s attributes are saved automatically.
  • When Never Save is selected, any changes that you make to the view’s attributes are discarded when the view is closed.

Changes to the displayed layers of a layer set are independent, that is to say they are not part of a view's attributes. If you were to switch to a different layer set to accomplish that task, then that change would not remain because the selected layer set is part of the view's attributes.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:26 PM, CARMELHILL said:

shouldn't the layers NOT CHANGE in the saved plan view

You would think that that's how it should work but it doesn't.

I'll go one step further and say that if you change any layer visibility there should be a "save" box before you close the Layer Display Dialogue Box to allow for temporary off the cuff changes to the visibility of an item that won't change your layer set.

I'm constantly babysitting my layer sets.  I'd prefer the extra step of clicking "save".  Or instead of that checkbox at the top for "affect all layers" there could be a second checkbox for "save as permanent".

On 8/15/2022 at 12:09 AM, DBCooper said:

Saved plan views keep track of the "layer set".  They don't keep track of any individual layer settings.  So in Eric's video, you can see how "never save" will not prompt you or save the layer set change he made.   

My guess is that you are turning individual layers on/off and expecting this to be temporary.  The program doesn't work that way.  I think what you want is maybe something more like this:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25960-extend-new-saved-plan-view-save-options-funcionality-to-layer-sets/

I agree.

I use default sets and layer sets that are temporary (I call "Working") and permanent (I call "Final"). These are set for all categories: floor plan, electrical, plumbing, etc. I change the Working sets as I need to without worry. I never change the Final unless I tweak them with extreme caution. The Final sets are what goes to Layout. That way I do not have to worry about that stray layer being left off on on in the layout view.