Dormer Artifact Issues

kwhitt

I have two dormers that are identical.  One I was able to pull off perfectly.  The second, although identical, has some artifacts that I cannot identify.  I have checked the walls including attic walls, the roof planes, room moldings, etc. and I cannot find the problem, nor do I even know what those flat boards floating above my roof could possibly be.  Has anyone run into this before and found a solution?  Further, I don’t understand why Chief rebuilds both dormers differently although identical (as far as I can tell).  I can upload the file to Dropbox if anyone has the time to take a look.  Thanks, Kevin

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

04.jpg

While the dormers look identical from a plan view it can be seen in this section that they are not.  Look at the details in the wall sections to see what I mean.  Posting the plan file would be a good place to start.  

Also here is a short video that I did on dormer artifacts.  They can be tricky. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

04.jpg

While the dormers look identical from a plan view it can be seen in this section that they are not.  Look at the details in the wall sections to see what I mean.  Posting the plan file would be a good place to start.  

Also here is a short video that I did on dormer artifacts.  They can be tricky. 

I can see that they're not identical in the cross-section, but all the settings of which I have control are identical.  Not sure what those artifacts are.  Thanks for the video, I'll give it a watch.  Kevin

17 minutes ago, solver said:

Delete the problem dormer and copy the good one over.

It's rare that we need a full plan backup. Only when the question concerns materials. Normally a zip of just the plan file works.

Thanks for taking a look.  That is how I created the 2nd dormer in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Here is the solution to your problem.  Click on the dormer wall that has an artifact opening it. Then click on structure and then set height to default.  The artifact will disappear.  

Thanks Doug.  That did work for the exterior problems.  Did you notice the wall problems on the interior?  The right dormer when viewed from inside is perfect.  The left, not so much.  Thanks again, Kevin

05.jpg

Edited by kwhitt
Added atttachment

13 minutes ago, solver said:

Copying cleaned up all the problems.

Eric - I'm not getting the same result.  Are you copying everything at once including the roof hole or just the walls?  Are you using reflect about or center object?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Doug.  That did work for the exterior problems.  Did you notice the wall problems on the interior?  The right dormer when viewed from inside is perfect.  The left, not so much.  Thanks again, Kevin

05.jpg

This problem is the result of two roof openings overlapping.  Delete one of the roof openings and then edit it by stretching to match the correct opening.  The problem inside will correct itself.1917890624_InsideView.thumb.jpg.96906c66957593b67174773d191fc737.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just a comment on Eric's fix and my fix.  Eric's copy and reflect clearly fixes the problems from the faulty dormer, and my fix explains what went wrong and how to correct it.  Both methods will work of course and Eric gets to the right result much faster.  My fix teaches you about what went wrong and what to look for in a similar situation.  In production I would definitely use Eric's solution.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Are you using reflect about

I find Reflect About ( CAD LINE usually )  works well when CA has this Issue, starting with the Roof Hole, then Walls, Roof Planes etc...

The original pics makes it look like a Ceiling plane height issue , and I have seen similar in the past.... for some reason multiple Dormers seems to Trip CA up at times and I have started using Reflect About from the get go for more consistent  result.

Mick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Just a comment on Eric's fix and my fix.  Eric's copy and reflect clearly fixes the problems from the faulty dormer, and my fix explains what went wrong and how to correct it.  Both methods will work of course and Eric gets to the right result much faster.  My fix teaches you about what went wrong and what to look for in a similar situation.  In production I would definitely use Eric's solution.  

Thanks again Doug.  You are right.  There's an extra roof hole that was causing the problem.  I'll be sure to look out for this in the future.

4 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks again Doug.  You are right.  There's an extra roof hole that was causing the problem.  I'll be sure to look out for this in the future.

Kevin, I suspect that you attempted to create the dormer more than once because there was also a roof hole polyline floating out in front of the house (which meant maybe 3 attempts).  In any case it is so easy for a dormer to get messed up because CA creates a new roof hole, even if the dormer can't be built.  This leads to unseen potential problems for a successful dormer creation with artifacts from previous attempts.  I can't tell you how many times my projects have suffered from these.  Especially if the layer where the roof hole polyline resides is turned off by accident.  Thanks for the follow up note as well.

I would have done a video to show the steps, but I was away on vacation and only had my laptop with me, and unfortunately didn't have the video software installed on it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Kevin, I suspect that you attempted to create the dormer more than once because there was also a roof hole polyline floating out in front of the house (which meant maybe 3 attempts).  In any case it is so easy for a dormer to get messed up because CA creates a new roof hole, even if the dormer can't be built.  This leads to unseen potential problems for a successful dormer creation with artifacts from previous attempts.  I can't tell you how many times my projects have suffered from these.  Especially if the layer where the roof hole polyline resides is turned off by accident.  Thanks for the follow up note as well.

I would have done a video to show the steps, but I was away on vacation and only had my laptop with me, and unfortunately didn't have the video software installed on it.

Thanks again Doug.  I really appreciate the help.  I was looking at it for so long it's sometimes easy to miss something obvious.  That 3rd shape was a polyline solid I used as a reference for the hole in case I needed to draw it again.  Chief seems to have done a good job with these dormers.  I have never had them perfect before and now I have 3 really good ones!  Kevin