S-P-A-M!!!!!

Larry_Sweeney

I get up to 20 SPAM calls a day sometimes. (I have had caller ID for that reason and don't answer the phone unless someone starts to leave a message). I go to ChiefTalk this morning and I have to go down to the third page (from just last night) just to read a thread that isn't SPAM. What the H---!

I really think Chief needs to find a way to block posts based on content.  Almost every one of the current set of spam posts have the words "abortion" and "pills" in them.  In addition, there are a lot of other specific words that could be used to filter out these posts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually, I think chieftalk does a pretty good job of keeping spam off the forum.  The spam you saw this morning was already gone by the time I read this which was only an hour later.

And if they are going to remove posts with certain words in them, my first vote is for "golf". :)

6 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Actually, I think chieftalk does a pretty good job of keeping spam off the forum.  The spam you saw this morning was already gone by the time I read this which was only an hour later.

And if they are going to remove posts with certain words in them, my first vote is for "golf". :)

There were about 50 posts beginning about 18 hours ago, all purportedly from Dubai, etc.  They each consisted of about 200-250 words of text advertising the sale of "abortion pills".  I reported these to Chief just as I have previously.  I also attempted to "Ignore" the poster(s) but that didn't work.

IMNSHO we shouldn't have to see these at all.  I'm not sure how it might work, but maybe it would be possible to require a valid Chief subscription to be able to post - at least in most of the forums.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

IMNSHO we shouldn't have to see these at all.  I'm not sure how it might work, but maybe it would be possible to require a valid Chief subscription to be able to post - at least in most of the forums.

Please don't encourage Chief to require some arcane validation to post to try and eradicate a spam problem that last for half an hour. Next thing you know we'll have to take our shoes off before we post...;)

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Please don't encourage Chief to require some arcane validation to post to try and eradicate a spam problem that last for half an hour.

It was actually more than 8 hours.  If you took a close look at the posting times you would have seen that they were at intervals of 3 minutes to 2 hours.

• Upvote 1

I am pretty sure that if there was a probationary period for unlicensed members of one new topic per 24 hour period that it would take care of 95% of the spam issues.  Or just give a special limited "Guest" status for the first week for unlicensed users before they become a "Member".  Plenty of other forums don't let you post at all without a waiting period.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It was actually more than 8 hours.  If you took a close look at the posting times you would have seen that they were at intervals of 3 minutes to 2 hours.

I was not trying to detail the exact time the spam was posted for but was trying to illustrate that with just a little patience, the problem, if it really is one, resolves itself without the need for new rules and posting regulations.

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I realize there is no "great" solution to this "new" spam problem, but it needs to be better than it is at present.

Why? I saw the spam, scrolled to the newest post, read the great advice that is Chief's forum, and moved on. Not sure what the real problem is.

Well this user joined 5 mins ago and is already posting SPAM ....   ( took me 2 mins to ready this thread.... )  that kind of thing could be stopped... they have also hit two other Forums as well in the last few minutes...

image.thumb.png.93185fa9c17d786f351be59e4cd98c6e.png

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

Can a Chief moderator block or delete the account?

Yes absolutely, and they do but would you rather them be spending all their time monitoring the forum or improving our software ?  I think it is time for some new rules.

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am pretty sure that if there was a probationary period for unlicensed members of one new topic per 24 hour period that it would take care of 95% of the spam issues.  Or just give a special limited "Guest" status for the first week for unlicensed users before they become a "Member".  Plenty of other forums don't let you post at all without a waiting period.

see this previous thread.

2 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Can a Chief moderator block or delete the account?  Just wondering.,  Easy to get bye and ignore, just annoying too see.  

The problem is that these Spams are automatically generated using false IDs.  The process of blocking the user is therefore totally ineffective.  In order to automate the blocking there would need to be one of the following:

• Content Detection - ie: key words
  • User Verification - ie: subscription, etc
  • Point of Origin - probably not possible if they're routed thru multiple addresses
  • Possibly limit posts to verified members after a certain amount of time - not sure how this could work.  I think the "Guest" category should probably be blocked from posting at all.  If someone isn't willing or able to become a verified member then they don't belong here.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

would you rather them be spending all their time monitoring the forum or improving our software

that's a big YES.  

Curious, can a person without a Chief license have an account?  Like I mentioned before, the spam isn't hurting anything, just a big nuisance.  Just like my long lost aunt from somewhere in Africa constantly emailing are also.  

17 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Curious, can a person without a Chief license have an account?

Yes that is the problem but it seems Chief is wanting to maintain it that way as a sales tool.

17 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Like I mentioned before, the spam isn't hurting anything, just a big nuisance.

It certainly takes storage space or monitoring.  Either way it is the money from my license and yours that pays for it all.  If a spammer gets 50 posts for every one of yours eventually someone looses out.  And it is annoying.

16 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Curious, can a person without a Chief license have an account?

Yes as CS said , the problem is they can signup and start posting immediately, and seemingly with no limit.

AFAIK Guests cannot post, you need to be a Member which is pretty much how all Forums work.

Every who buys a Chief Product should be required to Sign In at least once, since it's needed for their Digital Locker and setup an ID

with a Auto Product link in the SIG or under the Avatar , which would help with Support on both ChiefTalk and HomeTalk and has

been an Issue for 10-15yrs? since I've been around too.

M.