"Washed" color effect

Larry_Sweeney

Dennis......Is there a way to add a semi-transparent color (washed over look) to a color already on the siding? I have a "barn red" color on the vertical siding. When I "blend" a color to the vertical siding texture, what I get is just a different color on the siding. May be that I'm just not "getting it" to what you are trying to explain to me. You have seen from the picture in my first thread what I'm after. I'll give you a Dropbox link to my model and you can see what I have for a color at present. Maybe what I want is not possible. Dealing with colors and textures is not a "strong suit" of mine. Appreciate your time.

Dropbox link----  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49042923/BOYD%20STATION%2002212014%20CREAME.zip

I think I would try the material painter and use the "blend color with texture" function as well.  Select a grayish color to overlay over red vertical siding and I would think it would come out kind of washed looking.  I've successfully created a driftwood color that way.

Another thing I will do in these instances is create my own custom material.  Google 'faded red barnboard' to see if you can find an image with the look of what you're after, then import into Chief, adjust as needed and add to your user catalog.  

May I ask how you go about overlaying one color over another color (gray over the red vertical siding)?  Is this a photo editing step outside of Chief or can it be done within Chief.  I have manipulated material colors many times in the past but I have never done, nor do I know how to do, what you are suggesting.  Thanks.

"OLDCKD"...........When I blend a light grey color with my textured red vertical siding I get a textured light grey siding. I wish for a way to get a semi-transparent light grey over the red but with the red not being completly covered. I guess I'm going to have to invest in Paint Shop and learn that program. Man, I'm getting too old to learn new stuff!  :unsure:

Here are a couple of jpegs you can convert to a custom material.

One I found and cropped, the other I made.

Hope one or the other works for you.

PS - it was easier to start with grey barnboard and overlay/tint with the red, than the other way around.

post-192-0-01349700-1393218998_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-43050300-1393219012_thumb.jpg

Jon......Thanks for the info, but when I started to go through the process of downloading the program it started to give me a whole bunch of other crap and I stopped the whole process. I'm not much of a "computer techy" and things like this really bother me.  Whenever I download something anymore my heartbeat goes up about 30% because of some bad pass experiences. I'll have to go back to the site and look at it a little closer. What I know now though is that when I try to open ChiefTalk now (or anything else) I get taken to "advertisement sites" first. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of them. Thank God for grandchildren  :) .   They are "my" computer techys. Have a great day

OldCKD......Do you have a name? (the handle doesn't fit the picture :) )  Thanks for taking the time to find and do the jps. They are very close to what I'm after (especially the first one).

I must get a program and learn how to do that. Have a great day.

The name is Amy, and you're welcome  :rolleyes:

Tinting or adjusting a material color is not that hard to do in the material painter dbx; I do it fairly frequently. I only go into another program if I really can't get exactly what I want.

Amy......If I take a grey textured vertical siding and "blend" a reddish-brown color with it I get a reddish-brown textured vertical siding. I gather what you are telling me is that I CAN in CA just "tint" (semi-transparent) with a reddish-brown color in a way that the grey is still showing through. I've never been able to get this look. Could you explain or show an example how this is done. Or if you could point me to a video or somewhere in the ref. manual on the procedure, it would be much appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Larry, you can't make something that specialized within Chief (ie - barnboard with random rough patches or areas of different color) you would have to do something like that in Photoshop or simply grab and adjust a photo like the first one I attached.

The second one was gray barnboard that I tinted red, that's why it's got an overall more homogenous look and color, and that is totally doable with the material painter.  

Sorry for any confusion.