How To Do A Manual "round" Roof?

4hotshoez

Just saw a video on creating a domed roof. I assume the person used an automated roof, but never said. It worked well, BUT the auto-roof tool places a roof on my entire project which has a roof already. I am working on a round tower on the forth floor where there are no other roofs.

I tried this on a blank plan before messing mine up with zillions of unwanted and wrong roof planes. different floor levels too. Can I limit the auto roof tool to a floor level? 

I would like the 9' diameter round tower to have a roof that is as round as Chief will allow which is 6 degree segments.

Anyone?

Todd:

I believe it was Wendy Welton who recommends copying that section of the plan using Edit area tool

into a new plan, then build the roof

then using edit area tool paste back into original plan using hold position

when pasting back have only the roof layers on

for years I have advocated that we be able to draw an edit area marquee

and then the auto-roof gen would work on that area only

Lew

Well that was a pain. Eventually got something that looks like it work. Not sure how to cut a clean circle in the edge of a roof to create the cricket. Any easy tricks?

I am browsing [A really dome tips.]. Have a look at it! http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?61316-A-really-dome-tips&highlight=dome+tips

I am browsing [bell Roof]. Have a look at it! http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?61318-Bell-Roof&highlight=dome+tips

Look this threads 

Well that was a pain. Eventually got something that looks like it work. Not sure how to cut a clean circle in the edge of a roof to create the cricket. Any easy tricks?

You can use the join roof planes tool. You will have to break the roof edge you want to join to in multiple places to get it to work.