How to create a solid filled terrain when a cross section or elevation cuts through it

AvoyeDesign

On 8/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

for me, I just move the camera outside of the terrain, and add a dirt material to the skirt. unless the terrain is all over the place

So I explained in my video that there are cases where doing this isn't practical.  In my case, one of the elevations would have a second building obstructing the 1st.  In another example, the curvature of the terrain hides part of the building and I need to show the conditions where the grade meets the foundation wall.

• 2 weeks later...

this is interesting. I've been playing around, and if you turn off the terrain perimeter layer and just leave the terrain feature layer, you can compensate for undesired/wild contours near buildings, or anywhere actually, as long as there is "somewhere" you can cut a line through where you have the desired elevations

And if you make the material glass, you can make below grade a little bit translucent, not quite the dashed line for foundation that everyone would like, but not too bad.

too bad one cannot copy and paste the terrain feature polyline, and then apply the white fill line to get the dashes. ... CAD detail from view..I suppose would be the answer there

image.thumb.png.661d2155795606a623c678bc548a84dd.png

or the ugly case. instead of trying to fix the contours one can turn:

image.thumb.png.7693e47e5784733b2998535de13cba9a.png

into

image.thumb.png.0cae7b1b7b306862327501899c453611.png

nice technique @AvoyeDesign

On 8/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, jasonn1234 said:

this is interesting. I've been playing around, and if you turn off the terrain perimeter layer and just leave the terrain feature layer, you can compensate for undesired/wild contours near buildings, or anywhere actually, as long as there is "somewhere" you can cut a line through where you have the desired elevations

And if you make the material glass, you can make below grade a little bit translucent, not quite the dashed line for foundation that everyone would like, but not too bad.

too bad one cannot copy and paste the terrain feature polyline, and then apply the white fill line to get the dashes. ... CAD detail from view..I suppose would be the answer there

image.thumb.png.661d2155795606a623c678bc548a84dd.png

or the ugly case. instead of trying to fix the contours one can turn:

image.thumb.png.7693e47e5784733b2998535de13cba9a.png

into

image.thumb.png.0cae7b1b7b306862327501899c453611.png

nice technique @AvoyeDesign

Wow, you just improved on what I've done, kudos!  Never even occurred to met to turn off terrain.  That looks super clean!

neither did I until I saw what you did.

It can also be used for dash lining the foundation, but currently only for live view. I logged a ticket and CA acknowledged it is a bug for plot lines, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. If so, I *think* one could then set up these on a template plan and then the foundation would be dashed automagically, and be dynamic, possibly eliminating the white box masks