Toe kick on one side

LGallagher

I have a book shelf at the end of an island. I can only find a check for toe kick on sides - it doesn't look like it lets me specify whether I only want it on the right or left side. 

Is there a way to have toe kick on one side and the front of a cabinet?

Screenshot (173).png

Depending on what you're doing, you can put a very tiny partition down on the floor.  Just make it 1/16" x 1/16" x 1/16" and place it up against the back corner of your bookshelf.  This tells Chief there's an adjacent cabinet on that side and so toe kick will continue on just the one side.  You can optionally place the Partition on a unique layer and turn the layer off, but even with the layer on, you shouldn't actually see it in any views.

• Like 2

There is another forum called "Suggestions" for features you would like to see added to Chief in future versions.  Being able to control the left and right toe kick independently would be a great feature.  

Another solution:

• Turn your bookshelf end cabinet so the front faces the same way as the other island cabinets. 
  • Double click on the cabinet to get the dialog box to open.
  • Click on Front/Sides/Back
  • Remove the door and drawer and make them a "blank" space.
  • While still in Front/Sides/Back there is an option in center of that pop up to select "Side : Right" and "Side Type:  Custom Face" (see attachment)
  • Then in "Face Items" you can select that new side and make it an "Opening"
  • Click on "General" tab and go down to "Toe Kick".  Now uncheck "Flat Sides" and do check "Flat Back"
  • You've now gained control of the toe kicks by manipulating the cabinet and using the side as the front. 

Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions!

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.02.21 PM.png

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Another solution:

• Turn your bookshelf end cabinet so the front faces the same way as the other island cabinets. 
  • Double click on the cabinet to get the dialog box to open.
  • Click on Front/Sides/Back
  • Remove the door and drawer and make them a "blank" space.
  • While still in Front/Sides/Back there is an option in center of that pop up to select "Side : Right" and "Side Type:  Custom Face" (see attachment)
  • Then in "Face Items" you can select that new side and make it an "Opening"
  • Click on "General" tab and go down to "Toe Kick".  Now uncheck "Flat Sides" and do check "Flat Back"
  • You've now gained control of the toe kicks by manipulating the cabinet and using the side as the front. 

Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions!

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.02.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.02.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.06.38 PM.png

For this particular situation—heck, for MOST situation—I think your solution is much better than the one I posted.  

Oh, you are kind to say that Michael!  Your solution was a good one also, but the best solution will be to ask Chief to allow independent control over the left and right sides of the toe kick!  :)  

• Like 1

Thank you SusanC 

It really should just be a check box without having to do all of that. 

Have you found a way to make inset cabinets under stairs that follow the diagonal of the stairs.

I have not found a way to make wonky shaped cabinets in the cabinet tools. 

I work for a custom cabinet maker and we make wonky shapes all the time. Seems silly it is easier to hand draw them than use Chief. 

Thanks again for your solution

SusanC -

I just tried this and it still doesn't give me what I want. :(

I unchecked toe kick on the sides for the end toe kick to be gone but it did both sides so there was toe kick in the middle of the island.

I also tried the other idea with a partition but that didn't work either.

Toe kick was behind the partition.

The coders just need to make an individual check for all sides.

The coders just need to make an individual check for all sides.

Until then you will need to use a work around.  I like to remove the toe kick from the cabinets and use a molding polyline for situations like this.  CA-001 set to 3/4" thick and 4" high works out pretty good and you can make it any shape you want.

molding toe kick.png

• Like 1

Hi Lynn,

Please see attached screen captures.  Shows the cabinet with toe kick on one side and on the "front" of the cabinet, which is actually the side of the cabinet.  I think this is what you were wanting to do? 

Susan

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.48.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.48.48 PM.png