Truss To Highwall - Wall Intersection Behaviors

plannedRITE

Here's something I've occasionally fought with. Taking this attached plan for example, there are 2 different ceiling heights giving a lower and taller roof. In between these 2 sections is a shared wall but the portion above the lower roof never seems to display properly in 3d and/or elevation views.

I've tried a handful of different options but no matter what I seem to do there is an odd issue in a random view. I break up the wall to make the shared wall a different wall type than the exterior walls (drywall at each side instead of stucco). This, of course, changes the wall seen above the lower roof from outside into the drywall wall too. So that attic wall is changed back to the exterior wall type. 

Anyways, I've tried many options to easily fix this so I won't keep listing everything I've done wrong. What could I be missing here?

I tried to trim this simple plan down to fit but it's still a hair too large. Google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8JZyxygt-D7q3N9t2im8GF0RGoWBcJp/view?usp=sharing
image.thumb.png.24c8a9a884767f9d0db847a356ccff5a.png

1 hour ago, plannedRITE said:

What could I be missing here?

I deleted truss at wall, copied door, made sure wall was continuous, then 

added a truss base, built trusses for that.

image.thumb.png.b8d47aa8fa07e3d5e0bb6f469e6df56e.png

Went back and checked baloon through ceiling above (gets unchecked when building truss for the base.

Still get a line at the wall but is good in standard and PBR image.png.d4c5bb1b48b5b2858363d23d09da6593.png

Truss base change.zip

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Went back and checked baloon through ceiling above (gets unchecked when building truss for the base.

Still get a line at the wall but is good in standard and PBR image.png.d4c5bb1b48b5b2858363d23d09da6593.png

Truss base change.zip 1.54 MB · 0 downloads

Better! Thank you. I shouldn't have skipped that truss base here. I fight with truss bases too much since most of my roof layouts are a bit complicated so I usually avoid them.

Yep, the line is still there in elevation views but it's not a big deal to edit out that line in the layout file after.

17 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Truss base change.zip 1.54 MB · 1 download

I just took a second to actually look at this, still no bueno since by making that wall continuous it made that interior shared wall have the same exterior surface as the exterior walls. It needs to be a different wall type, which is why it was broken up and shown as a different wall in the draft I uploaded. I do know that that's causing the problem so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

The closest I've been able to get is by unselecting the attic wall classification for that upper wall though it still leaves a line and messes with the other perpendicular walls a bit.
image.thumb.png.a77d65246b01ee7ce5a9eba5d1f3acb8.png

51 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

making that wall continuous it made that interior shared wall have the same exterior surface as the exterior

Well that's what Lower wall type if split by butting roof is for.

image.thumb.png.9d58ead0c3f905a831056e3e4c36b8af.png

You will have to add a break at the eave of the butting roof and move it away a smidge.

image.thumb.png.c75c5a2bec56c7136615f8167bbc5e3f.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Well that's what Lower wall type if split by butting roof is for.

image.thumb.png.9d58ead0c3f905a831056e3e4c36b8af.png

You will have to add a break at the eave of the butting roof and move it away a smidge.

image.thumb.png.c75c5a2bec56c7136615f8167bbc5e3f.png

Good point! Looks like it's leaving that one last line in elevation views, no biggie.

So now is there a way for the lower wall to show on the plan view in just that section? It seems that Chief treats this split like a pony wall but for the entire wall length. Works great for elevations/3D but in the plan view I'm not seeing a way to show the interior wall layers for the portion cut by the roof but exterior for the rest of the wall. Seems to be one or the other?
image.thumb.png.c6b99cd67b60f9bfeee546affc1ec5e0.pngimage.thumb.png.ebec587199eaf045428669bd994ca1d6.png

10 hours ago, plannedRITE said:

a way to show the interior wall layers for the portion cut by the roof

walls.thumb.jpg.a38600415e780aca68e5f5ae1ce30dc4.jpg

It also gets rid of the vertical line in vector BUT adds a short horizontal. I didn't play to see just how short you can break that other wall..

image.thumb.png.78a5f8e99a9b3fec14f087918a59c6d5.png