Real Time Raytracing X14

imodel

Well YMMV.

The clients I have that want it are almost all for interiors and they like it. There is a learning curve but once you have some cameras you can copy from an existing plan the adjustments are usually minor.

I was due for a complete system upgrade when I did mine so was not really much extra as that is the GPU I'd have gotten in any case. OTOH one client wanted a few along with a walk thru for a show which paid for the GPU upcharge.

Depends on your client base and services. For my business it's a necessity as we lean heavily on our models as a marketing tool. We get plenty of new clients that had a friend refer them because of how much they loved being able to see the build in the planning phase. Standard renders are still fine any client but a good PBR just sets you apart.

Like Mark said, YMMV.

1 hour ago, imodel said:

I must admit I don't get PBR.  I was hoping for something like this.  Now this could get me exited!

We were all thinking in terms of PBR Real Time Ray Tracing which is GPU based and orders of magnitude faster than CPU Ray Tracing that you are showing. That has been around forever. CPU RT also has a learning curve. 

Some might suggest that CPU RT is better but I'd look around to see some of what the rendering gurus have posted before going there too quickly. AFAIK the real experts have all switched to RTRT (PDB with RayTrace on- or real time ray trace)

Some might suggest that CPU RT is better

I might suggest that.  The only comparison I can truly make is with my own hands on it.  If it makes PBR look way better than it does without Global Illumination, than its probably worth the extra hardware.

Hello,

Ladies and gentlemen, I just purchased a new Mac Studio with M1 Max with 32 GB memory. I have been a CA user for years and have had no real problems with drawings, Printing, or Raytracing other than the learning curve. 

However, I as well as the Tech department are now stumped at least the one I spoke with. 

The problem is everytime I try to Raytrace CA shuts down completely! Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

58 minutes ago, vig627 said:

Hello,

Ladies and gentlemen, I just purchased a new Mac Studio with M1 Max with 32 GB memory. I have been a CA user for years and have had no real problems with drawings, Printing, or Raytracing other than the learning curve. 

However, I as well as the Tech department are now stumped at least the one I spoke with. 

The problem is everytime I try to Raytrace CA shuts down completely! Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

This should be a different post as it has nothing to do with the original question.  Please feel free to delete this to keep it clean and post.  Btw I have a studio with the ultra and have no issues but am happy to answer more detailed if you post separately.

3 hours ago, imodel said:

The only comparison I can truly make is with my own hands on it.  If it make

You don't have a signature listed so we have no idea what hardware you are using other than you only have a 4 core processor. I'd guess since you were asking about hardware that when you speak of PBR you're not talking about PBR RTRT. Take a look over in the gallery- like renerrabbits stuff He is a pro and also uses other rendering engines but this batch I believe is done with RTRT.

I'm not a big time renderer; here is one from current project not as good as others. It's the kind I include at almost no charge since I only spend a few minutes on it. I never could have gotten a CPU RT interior this good in a few minutes.

628931196_cab1Fullkitchen.thumb.jpg.feded09d307b500e89e1d2f3459e3f57.jpg

And see if you can get around to a signature please.

Hi Imodel,

Yes, the upgrade is worth it. There are to ray tracing engines, CPU and GPU. I was involved AV production for decades so have used high end processors and cards for at least 20 years. I don't recall when CPU ray tracing was implemented however once I learned of it I started using it. I probably have a few 2010 images laying around. I would ray trace out images over night and then take them into Photoshop, Lightroom or Davinci Resolve to polish them. They were a great sales tool.

I had been asking Chief for GPU implementation for years. Last year I was about to give up and go a different route through Sketchup and Lumion as my partner's work flow is AutoCad, Sketchup and Lumion. Because of the implementation I stayed in Chief and he is working his way into Chief as well. He will still finish in Lumion until such time as Chief can implement a user friendly interface that can get the same results. 

It is my belief that Chief will do this.

I am not one of the heavy contributors to the forum but I did want to show what can be done in Chief with a finish in Lightroom compared to Sketchup to Lumion. As you look at these, here are 2 things to consider. 1. I am not being an artist or interior designer; I am only going deep enough to let the client see want they need to see to make decisions. 2. The images you will see in Sketchup to Lumion could have been Chief to Lumion. Chief although capable of doing the same export format DAE as Sketchup is still clunky to navigate through to get what is needed and lacks 3d object that are readily available in Sketchup. To be fair to Chief, they are actively working on the 3d object library.  I am not sure in what order these files will appear in this post so I will follow this post with 2 others. 1st Chief to Lightroom. 2nd Sketchup to Lumion. 

Another factor to understand between my workflow and the partners. I am concentrated on remodels and additions. He is doing the same but additionally new homes. We are design and build one stop shops in the USA and Argentina. These are from this week and last week and are typical for us. The partner, Nico, project is in northeast Argentina and is Sketchup to Lumion. The Chief to Lightroom is a small condo in a ridiculously expensive area in the USA.  

I hope this answers your question.

Mark