Edit mode concentric and the offset

GeneDavis

In Sketchup I do concentric copy resize, click-drag any side of a polygon, enter a distance into dbx, and hit return.  The sides of the new are parallel offset by that distance.  

In Chief I gotta grab a corner, not side, to make all sides go c, and doing TAB then 1, does NOT make sides offset a parallel 1 inch.

Can this be done differently?

Here is my problem.  See the image.  I go copy, paste in place, hold c, grab a corner and pull it in for concentric, stop the drag, hit TAB, enter 24", and I get what is shown.  If I grab a side not a corner, do the same thing but after TAB, enter 12, I get the side dragged in and the opposite side, but not concentric behavior as I want.

Chief takes the offset input and gives you the diagonal pull.

2022-08-08 14_04_47-Window.png

22 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Here is my problem.  See the image.  I go copy, paste in place, hold c, grab a corner and pull it in for concentric, stop the drag, hit TAB, enter 24", and I get what is shown.  If I grab a side not a corner, do the same thing but after TAB, enter 12, I get the side dragged in and the opposite side, but not concentric behavior as I want.

Chief takes the offset input and gives you the diagonal pull.

2022-08-08 14_04_47-Window.png

Don't drag diagonally, drag perpendicular to the desired reference line before you hit tab.  Also read my note re: using the circular edit handle.

Here is what I did, thinking you wanted to resize the entire pline I dragged from the corner. ( I don't know what "hold c" is or does- if it's not working then I'm guessing it does not enter into the same edit mode I'm using -note the change in icon)

Dragging from a side using edit behavior concentric changed two opposing sides on the rectangle, no idea what it does on more complex plines)

IF you are dragging it in instead of out UNCHECK Polar, think taht is what you have going on?

image.thumb.png.6f0e03cab5794bc33ab03b62e4e3605f.png

I'm not sure and can't figure out what the "circular edit handle" is but sounds easier?

6 minutes ago, solver said:

After a Copy/Paste in Place

ct1.thumb.png.ca94f99f294e63a70eb3427460b2aa97.png

Is there a setting for that? I don't get it after copy paste in place?

image.thumb.png.06a67057f748f777912f186fb942e3be.png

Never mind- I get the circle after I select copy paste BUT once hold position is selected it goes away. Thanks

8 minutes ago, solver said:

X14

Yes-see edit above. I was not seeing it because I use a keyboard to directly copy and paste in place. If I right click the object and select copy and paste it show up goes away once I select hold position

24 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This step is an unnecessary redundancy that serves no purpose for this particular use case.

True but if you have a keyboard set that just copies and pastes in place- as I do- you won't get the circle. Will look into changing the keys.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

image.thumb.png.6f0e03cab5794bc33ab03b62e4e3605f.png

Just FYI, fr anyone else struggling with this, based on Mark's picture here, this operation shouldn't have worked since he's showing 45 degrees in the Enter Coordinates dialog.  I suspect he has his Jump setting set to 12".  Otherwise, he would be having the same results as Gene was seeing.  We can't have both a Concentric Jump setting and use the Tab entry method on the fly.  With Concentric, its one or the other.  If you have anything other than 0 set in the Jump field, then you will be limited to jumping by that specific increment. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

based on Mark's picture here, this operation shouldn't have worked

Well, must be doing something wrong, concentric is at default OOB of 0"

Sorry but I rarely do vids and no Youtube so just an MP.4 (Forgot a few things along the way, it's late but then again maybe I learned that watching all of Scott Hall's generaous vids back in the day-;)

Thanks, all.

So the method, now that I've practiced it, is to make sure polar is unchecked after the TAB opens the dbx, check the "relative" button, enter the desired offset into EITHER the x or y field, ZERO the other, and click OK.

39 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Thanks, all.

So the method, now that I've practiced it, is to make sure polar is unchecked after the TAB opens the dbx, check the "relative" button, enter the desired offset into EITHER the x or y field, ZERO the other, and click OK.

I suggest you take a step back and learn to make it work with Polar because using your newly adopted approach will only work for objects perfectly parallel/perpendicular to the X/y axis.  The other methods work for situations outside those parameters.