X-14 Trim and Gutter Glitches driving me crazy

Renerabbitt

When you see strange things in the camera view, does rebuild 3D fix anything?  Sometimes this will fix strange things.

If I ever have problems with the "replace" tool, I will go into the dialog and change what I want instead.

If you haven't done so already, you should send this into tech support.

Renee,

I haven't had time to look at your video more than once....so these comments are based on a quick look.

Are you sure that you are not seeing the consequences of unlocking the layers for the molding polylines like Roofs,Gutters, Roofs,Trim, etc.

They are probably locked for a good reason, ie, to force the use of the roof planes and not the molding polylines.

Once you do that, the molding polylines become disassociated from the roof plane and exist by themselves.

You can then generate the moldings from either the roof dbx or the molding polyline dbx.

Each time you do this by rebuilding the roof you end up with more molding polylines.

All that, coupled with the various default settings for the moldings and settings like auto, on, off, can lead to some confusing results.

If I get a chance, I will have another look and try to consolidate my thoughts.

The small remnant moldings you see are probably the result of a hidden molding poking it's from behind another molding. 

In the meantime, I will look forward to a response from the people at Chief.

Yes! I have had some of the most ridiculous roof issues with X14. It could absolutely be caused by odd things that I am doing but I do not remember having this many odd bugs in prior versions. Lots of gutter and shadow board oddities in X14 as I use them to try to mimic local designs as I always have.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:58 AM, glennw said:

Renee,

I haven't had time to look at your video more than once....so these comments are based on a quick look.

Are you sure that you are not seeing the consequences of unlocking the layers for the molding polylines like Roofs,Gutters, Roofs,Trim, etc.

They are probably locked for a good reason, ie, to force the use of the roof planes and not the molding polylines.

Once you do that, the molding polylines become disassociated from the roof plane and exist by themselves.

You can then generate the moldings from either the roof dbx or the molding polyline dbx.

Each time you do this by rebuilding the roof you end up with more molding polylines.

All that, coupled with the various default settings for the moldings and settings like auto, on, off, can lead to some confusing results.

If I get a chance, I will have another look and try to consolidate my thoughts.

The small remnant moldings you see are probably the result of a hidden molding poking it's from behind another molding. 

In the meantime, I will look forward to a response from the people at Chief.

Renee,

As far as I can see, when you replace the gutter from the library, it disassociates the gutter molding polyline from the roof.

It is then a molding polyline with no association or connection with the roof.

You can easily edit or delete this unneeded gutter molding polyline and then auto generate a new one that is associated with, and attached to the roof.

This new gutter will be the same one you used to replace the original gutter.

I am not making any comments as to why I think it happens, if it should happen....etc, I am just relaying what I have observed.

• Upvote 1

Chief creates new moldings that are somewhat disassociated from their host roof planes. Chief does this without warning us of this behavior. If the layer for those molding is unlocked, you can test this by replacing a gutter molding, then moving the gutter molding polyline, then pressing F12. A new auto gutter will generate and the original gutter molding will remain.

If you open the old, moved gutter molding dbx, you'll see that it is on the gutter layer, which is not its new default layer.

Interestingly enough, the default layer for the old gutter molding is Roofs, Trim.

image.thumb.png.566230412c8956acf528131443d2ebde.png