Desperately Seeking Chief Architect user to change a setting.

FlynDad

Hello,

I am seeking someone who can take a Chief Architect save, open it, and change the setting that then allows me to make changes to the save in Home Designer Pro.

I have the save and need to create the "official" house plans with the border and information boxes etc. and it will not allow me to do this.

CA support stated that anyone who uses CA can do this in about 20 seconds.

Is there anyone who might be able to assist me with this issue?

Thank you.

FWIW, the structural framing plans indicate 11.875" TJIs @ 16" o.c. with spans in excess of 24 feet.

That would be like a trampoline.  It just won't work.

That's just one of many problems with those plans.  As mentioned previously, the stairs don't work.  In addition, Mechanical and Plumbing may have issues in terms of routing.

I would suggest you hire an Architect or Structural Engineer - or both if the Architect doesn't want to do the structural engineering.

8 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

Fly, you need to makes some adjustments to that landing on your stairs. That does not meet code.

I will take a look at it more specifically. I just received them yesterday and have not looked into any detail. I was wanting the ability to edit first.   Thank you for opening it up.

8 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

Help me understand something. Is this a plan you designed? If so, what is your experience/training in Architecture? If you did not design it, where did the plan come from?

The plans were originally found on one of the many house plan websites.

I took the plans and  purchased Home Designer with the hope that I could do a trace and "build up".

I soon realized the software was more comprehensive then I originally thought. I hired someone off of these forums to be available for instant answers and to teach me what I would need to know to utilize the software for my purposes. I then realized, with time being an issue, that this "learning the software myself" would take too long.

So I hired the same individual to just re-create the plans for the purpose of using them for the actual build, present to the city for permits, etc.

It was suggested here that I upgrade to PRO so I did.

Then, to get the final files, I was told I had to upgrade to 2023. So I did.
Then when trying to update I discovered my C drive did not have enough room, so I upgraded my C drive to have more capacity.
With the C drive upgraded I then proceeded to upgrade the software.
Then I get the file and discover I can't edit it at all.

Hence the original post.

The original plans were here: https://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/plan-3319-square-feet-4-bedroom-4-5-bathroom-contemporary-style-32662

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

FWIW, the structural framing plans indicate 11.875" TJIs @ 16" o.c. with spans in excess of 24 feet.

That would be like a trampoline.  It just won't work.

Hmmm,.. the largest span I see is just a touch over 20' (This would be the basement garage span from poured wall to center LVL support beam) and I believe we planned to utilize these  https://structurelock.com/usa/product/x-brace-i-joist/   (or something like them).

9 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

Fly, you need to makes some adjustments to that landing on your stairs. That does not meet code.

Which landing would that be, Basement stairs or the one between the dinning and kitchen? What about it does not meet code? Railings?

Thank you.

I am certainly open to suggestions and or "professional help".  

Actually, I would not mind getting an estimate on what it would take/cost to get these "right". 

There are a few "minor" things I wanted to change, if possible, anyway. :unsure:

32 minutes ago, FlynDad said:

Hmmm,.. the largest span I see is just a touch over 20' (This would be the basement garage span from poured wall to center LVL support beam) and I believe we planned to utilize these  https://structurelock.com/usa/product/x-brace-i-joist/   (or something like them).

Take a look at the 2nd Floor Floor Joists.  You have spans of about 24' and 27'.  Neither of this is possible with those TJIs.  It's not even close to being possible.

35 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Take a look at the 2nd Floor Floor Joists.  You have spans of about 24' and 27'.  Neither of this is possible with those TJIs.  It's not even close to being possible.

The floor between the basement and the 1st floor?  I do believe there is supposed to be an LVL under the dinning/kitchen split. Apart from that, the longest I see is across the basement garage.     

Let me ask this: What is the largest span you would use for a 12" 360? Or better yet, do you freelance? What would you charge to correct the joists for the plan? I would also prefer to eliminate that pole support found in the garage and fix up a few other oddities. 

The city the house is being built in is currently using 2009 International and residential code.   SMALL town.

This is the table for BCI. I think you are going to be o.k. since the plan shows a beam at the kitchen/living room clg. that cuts that span down to about 18'. You may want to go down to 12" o.c. where you have tile floors on the second story. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FlynDad said:

What is the largest span you would use for a 12" 360?

20' @16" o.c.  and you can expect a deflection of about 3/4" at center span.

Contrary to what Alan said, the beam over the kitchen (2 LVLs - Framing Plan shows only 1) is probably insufficient and there are no bearing walls along that line to support the rest of the floor joists.  Using standard span tables can work when there aren't any extra superimposed loads (just sq.ft. loads) but otherwise structural member sizing needs to be engineered.  All roof and wall loads have to be carried all the way down to the foundation.  When bearing walls are not vertically aligned the span tables shouldn't (can't) be relied on.

I do some freelance work but I'm too busy at this time with other clients.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, M-Reed said:

Flyndad,

Looking at the joists over garage, it appears an TJI-560 set to 12" centers will more than accommodate the span. You will want to check the load above though, 

I would have the joists calculated (and engineered) by your local lumberyard supplying TJI'S. The manufacturers will provide that info and for free usually. That will usually satisfy the code boys.

On stairs, I agree. Maybe work best to turn lower section to a 90d. With a bit of adjustment, the lower section can actually take up less room than it does now. Apparently, the idea was to limit projection into room?

Thank you for the input!   I think the stairs coming out an an angle were more aesthetic than anything else.  

If you are wanting to hire an engineer to review and design the supporting system, you can just export an acad file for them to work from. If you want someone to tweak the design then it is probably to your advantage to hire a Chief Architect user since the model is already built in Chief. 

I would take a hard look at the rear elevation. The way that dining room roof crashes into the dormer is not my favorite part of the massing (kindest way I can put it). Also, with all that space, the kitchen could be designed in a better way. Maybe it works for you but I have general criteria for a kitchen that this does not meet.