2D Symbol Modification for Railing Wall Types for Schedules

PMMully

Is there a way to control the 2D symbol for any custom wall type, stock wall type, stock railing or deck railing, that is set to have a railing (post2beam, etc.) so that it will show up in the wall schedule with a 2D symbol versus a blank 2D symbol?

I created a custom wall type where I set a hatch pattern to a main layer, but it no longer works for some reason.

2 hours ago, PMMully said:

Is there a way to control the 2D symbol for any custom wall type, stock wall type, stock railing or deck railing, that is set to have a railing (post2beam, etc.) so that it will show up in the wall schedule with a 2D symbol versus a blank 2D symbol?

I created a custom wall type where I set a hatch pattern to a main layer, but it no longer works for some reason.

Can you illustrate by giving us a plan file and a bubbled note?

On 7/29/2022 at 4:58 AM, PMMully said:

You may need a short length of each wall type in your Template Plan , off to the side for example, so they are always in the Auto Wall Schedule.

Mick.

1 hour ago, PMMully said:

@Renerabbitt I guess I trashed the other video.  @Kbird1 understood. The core issue is any wall type that gets assigned to a railing/post2beam seems to have the same problem. I hope the video shows the detail.  

Upload your test Plan as well , thanks.....

Mick.

1 hour ago, solver said:

I don't think you can control the 2D in a Wall Schedule, but I'm not getting blanks. How do you see a 2D image helping someone in the field? 

You maybe right , that's why I wanted to see the Test Plan ......I think the Wall Def. may have an issue since blanks are displaying....? not seen that before...

I have 1 client who likes to use Colored Fills on the Main Layer , but with Chief now using the Grey on Grey Scheme by default it wouldn't be so useful

or even with colored Fills if printed to Black and White in which case Hatching is likely better.

image.thumb.png.7b5e8b2502340aeffc4dac162ddc677f.png

@glennw I see if you set that top rail on all of the walls of the specific wall type (my FL Post2Beam) it shows up in the schedule.... but it you only set one wall, it does not.

But then it also show up in the 3D with the top rail... :rolleyes:, which defeats the overall purpose of a true non-railing-Post2Beam build.:wacko:

The real fix is for a post2beam wall to just be a attribute on a wall type, outside of the railing class all together. Tying to to a railing type wall feels a bit hokey. However, all is not lost...

• 99% of my usage of this wall type is on recessed porches, in which case it boxes it in and shows the posts which is at least something that is correct on 2D and maintains the correct 3D (but keep in mind when not recessed, you lose the outside box and you just get the posts)
  • I just made my own 2D legend that looks like the CA depiction on the plan, and just paste it over the blank on the CA created wall schedule. I put it on the plan at the end anyway so it will likely never move, and you can block the schedule so it all stays together. In a few plans I actually did the same on the wall itself, but its a pain is things move.
  • The materials list is ok, it  comes out in the decks/walks category so you can get decent measurements for take-offs.

Unless someone has a better idea I think we can consider this one closed.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:28 PM, solver said:

I don't think you can control the 2D in a Wall Schedule, but I'm not getting blanks.

ct1.thumb.png.1900824264218824c4316e2e7feadea2.png

What do you want to see? How do you see a 2D image helping someone in the field? 

When you set any wall to a railing, and you remove the top rail in a post2beam, the legend for the wall type goes blank in the wall schedule, and it says "railing", when it is a post2beam that looks and is nothing like a railing. So the schedule it confusing and basically useless.

Yes, you can exclude the walls from the schedule, less confusing, but it appears you get nothing in the materials list. At least it shows up in decking railing so you can at least get a decent linear feet count.

So I compromised and made my own legend overlay below. Its crude but it works, is fast, I get it in the material/schedule output, and a sub bidding the job can instantly see what the construction is. I have another wall type that represents a CMU header and posts as well, a masonry post2beam that is not a railing wall, shows in the schedule just fine.

For a program as sophisticated at CA, I really should not have to use a wheel/counter to do take offs on plans anymore.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 010453.png

13 hours ago, PMMully said:

remove the top rail in a post2beam, the legend for the wall type goes blank in the wall schedule

You should report this to Tech. Support so the Developers are aware of a Blank Wall Type issue....

M.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You should report this to Tech. Support so the Developers are aware of a Blank Wall Type issue....

M.

I did not buy support this year as things looked uncertain, and I get most support from this forum anyway. I think you have to be on support to file a bug?

20 minutes ago, PMMully said:

I did not buy support this year as things looked uncertain, and I get most support from this forum anyway. I think you have to be on support to file a bug?

Yes..... though if you have changed your mind on SSA now?  I believe there is a  90day(?) forgiveness policy , it is always going to be cheaper to get SSA , than upgrade to the next version the following yr.

* perhaps try though....as this is not a Support Issue and you aren't asking for help , you are merely reporting a bug.

M.

• Like 1

It would work fine if the Beam was programmed to work like the rails and would then need to be added to the Plan Display tab of a railing dbx (Draw Beams).

If you change the plan display for a railing, the 2d display in the schedule will match.

image.thumb.png.30c64faea30650bb8a0708e30390a6d0.png

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:59 PM, Kbird1 said:

Yes..... though if you have changed your mind on SSA now?  I believe there is a  90day(?) forgiveness policy , it is always going to be cheaper to get SSA , than upgrade to the next version the following yr.

* perhaps try though....as this is not a Support Issue and you aren't asking for help , you are merely reporting a bug.

M.

30 day policy,,,, I plead my case and got back in, only a few days out.