Hole in Polyline - Linestyle ???

Joe_Carrick

It seems that in the past I've been able to create a hole in a Polyline and make the linestyle a "blank".  That way I could hatch the polyline but not have the hole itself visible.  

I've been trying to do that in X14 and am not able to.

Does anyone else know how to get it to work?

On 7/28/2022 at 10:43 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

It seems that in the past I've been able to create a hole in a Polyline and make the linestyle a "blank".  That way I could hatch the polyline but not have the hole itself visible.  

I've been trying to do that in X14 and am not able to.

Does anyone else know how to get it to work?

I don't think we've actually ever been able to do this Joe.  To get the hole to have an invisible linestyle, you have to change the linestyle on the polyline itself.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I don't think we've actually ever been able to do this Joe.  To get the hole to have an invisible linestyle, you have to change the linestyle on the polyline itself.

Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure it was possible at one time.  I don't have time to go back 6 or 7 versions to check.

So what I did was:

• created a closed Polyline without a hole or fill - solid linestyle
  • copy that Polyline in place, created a hole, set blank linestyle, added fill.

IAE, It really seems like CA should provide this capability with just a single Polyline.  This is a very common drafting practice.

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

So what I did was:

• created a closed Polyline without a hole or fill - solid linestyle
  • copy that Polyline in place, created a hole, set blank linestyle, added fill.

It really seems like CA should provide this capability with just a single Polyline.  This is a very common drafting practice.

I agree.  It would be nice to have separate control over the polyline and the polyline hole. In fact, it would be nice if we could even control specific edges independently. 

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I agree.  It would be nice to have separate control over the polyline and the polyline hole. In fact, it would be nice if we could even control specific edges independently. 

I'd settle for just  the pline and hole being different. :D  I don't want to upset CA Development Staff too much;)

• Like 1

I just made the "hole" a normal polyline using a solid fill and the invisible line style.  This is what I use pretty much anytime I want to create a mask.  This seems to work pretty good unless you need a real hole, like for a counter top or something.

hole without lines.png

46 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

I just made the "hole" a normal polyline using a solid fill and the invisible line style.  This is what I use pretty much anytime I want to create a mask.  This seems to work pretty good unless you need a real hole, like for a counter top or something.

hole without lines.png

Solid Mask doesn't work for my purposes.  I need to have what's behind displayed.