How do I get the oven down and into the base unit?

johnoc

Go to solution Solved by SusanC,

The symbol has to be of a type "inserts into cabinet," and its 3D origin properly set.  Some Chief library objects are hinky and have to be fixed, most are not.  As David said, if you are bringing in a 3D from Sketchup (or elsewhere), they are not ready for the insertion and need work by you.

Open the oven SYMBOL.  Not the object, the SYMBOL for the object.

Open it for spec and examine the OPTIONS tabbed page.  Your appliance should have the option checked for "inserts into cabinet front" or some words to that effect.

10 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Are you trying to insert it manually or adding it as an appliance to an 'Appliance' opening in the cabinet?

adding it as an appliance. Also tried front/sides/back,add new,appliance??

image.thumb.png.7cf33eddef694e0033679ba09a1f8ce3.png

1 hour ago, solver said:

attach a simple plan file with your cabinet and oven

attached.

All I wanted to do was ...

insert a built-in oven into a 600 Wide base

My thanks to those who attempted to help me find a solution.

CAF.plan

I see that you got it in there but the oven is still too big for the opening. You'll need to re-size the cabinet or find a unit that will fit.You could also resize the oven you chose and then slide it in manually. In your plan view, the oven will be sitting well outside of the cabinet for it to look correct in 3D. Not the best solution but it works for 3D.

Perhaps someone else can expand in this.

Capture.JPG

17 hours ago, ericepv said:

You also have the same issue with your cook-top to the left.

I am aware of that one :huh:, it should resolve itself when the worktop is over the oven

17 hours ago, solver said:

You seem to have done something ...

Yes, but not ideal, I had no idea that it would be such a faff, after all, 

All I wanted to do was ...

insert a built-in oven into a 600 Wide base

Cabinetry is hard in real life, when you are tasked with either building a cabinet to house an appliance (best) or fitting an appliance to an existing cabinet (sometimes terrible.)

In Chief, it can also be hard, but solutions are easy.

First and foremost, you must get the appliance maker's instructions for installation, which will definitely include all the required dimensions of the "opening" in the cab, plus stuff like how to route power and where and how to make openings for it.

I just helped build a kitchen for a job I did in both Chief Architect and eCabinets.  Chief for the design and layout, eCabs for the specifics of all the lock-tenoned carcase parts, doors, drawerfronts, hardware holes, and more.

The sink is to be a specific model from Kohler, a farmhouse apron thing in cast iron, and the sink base was specifically sized and its front panel all CNC cut properly, for the exact sink.  

The client bought some other sink.  I explained the sink was not right, was too big one way, to short another, and the only solution was to get the cabinet remade, and the doors that go below.  Six weeks for the cab, fourteen weeks for the doors.  And we cannot template for the stone tops until the cabinet gets made right.

She decided to return the wrong sink and get the Kohler, fortunately in stock at Amazon, of all places.

Eric, Thanks for the video.

Sadly, despite many reviews (and referring to the help files) I am unable to get a working solution and my attempts are getting further away from a working solution.

I would send another plan file, but it is not helpful.

As I have spent far too long on this I may have to list my attampts as a fail.

I can get to the point of opening and editing a symbol, but I don't know where to go from there (does it need to be saved as a seperate file? how/where?

Regards

John

• Solution

If I'm understanding correctly, you are trying to fit an oven into a 600mm, or 23 5/8" cabinet?  

Easiest way I know of to do this:

• Make the cabinet wider than needed.  I made a 30" wide cabinet.
  • I selected a Wolf 30" oven and inserted into cabinet. 
  • Double click on the cabinet to open up the dialog box.  See attachment showing oven highlighted.  
  • While dialog box is open, click on Front/Sides/Back tab.
  • In the "Face Items" section, click on "Appliance".
  • Look a little further down and you will see you Appliance/Door/Drawer  with the option to Specify, Edit, or Clear.  Click on "Edit".  
  • Now a dialog box pops open to allow you to adjust the manufacturer's appliance to any size you need.  Once done, click "Ok".  See attachment showing 2 dialog boxes open.
  • Now go up to "General" tab on far left and size the cabinet down to 600mm.  Click "Ok" and you will now have an appliance that fits into your cabinet.  See third attachment with oven and cabinet size adjusted down.

If you need a quick fix for now without making any adjustments to cabinetry, you can use the Gaggenau BO 450 612 which will fit into a 60cm cabinet without adjustments.  Most of the appliances in Chief are geared to American dimensions which are larger than European sizing, but there are a few tricks, like sometimes being able to find an appliance in a manufacturer's catalog that also sell in Europe.  

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.29.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.21.45 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1