How can I move the line label on a plot plan? The one that gives length atop, bearing under?

GeneDavis

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I have lines in close proximity and at the display scale wanted for layout, one blanks out part of the other.  I want to shift one or both, but there seems no way to select and get a handle.

2022-07-27 09_26_19-Window.png

As Robert mentions they are fixed....  However a workaround is to turn that info off and use a text box with a "none" or whatever leader line style you want to point to the line and use macros to report the info (all auto macros that are available once you have the line connected to the leader.)

48 minutes ago, rgardner said:

However a workaround is to turn that info off and use a text box with a "none" or whatever leader line style you want to point to the line and use macros to report the info (all auto macros that are available once you have the line connected to the leader.)

This requires a lot of trust in the connection of that arrow. I used to use reference arrows, but found (the hard way) that they couldn't all be trusted to maintain their original connection when there are multiple items in close proximity. That's just my experience. You may have a zero fail rate when using referenced arrows.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I want to shift one or both, but there seems no way to select and get a handle.

One trick I used before diving deep into ruby macro's was to make a copy of the applicable line and change the line style to blank and move it to where ever it needed to be to provide a usable label for the original line.  Not ideal but it works.

53 minutes ago, rgardner said:

all auto macros that are available

I was not aware there were any "auto macro's" provided by chief that were useful for quadrant bearing or formatted lengths ?  What did I miss ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

One trick I used before diving deep into ruby macro's was to make a copy of the applicable line and change the line style to blank and move it to where ever it needed to be to provide a usable label for the original line.  Not ideal but it works.

That's a good tip! Always gotta think outside the box.

17 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I was not aware there were any "auto macro's" provided by chief that were useful for quadrant bearing or formatted lengths ?  What did I miss ?

image.thumb.png.63859ea6c8e540c92e20b310254ac7b7.png

You have to add some rounding and other input to it but they are available for length and angle however it cannot be an attached polyline it has to be individual line segments.  I didn't add any formatting just drew a quick line and added an attached text box with a leader line.

Pretty sure when I was messing with that situation (been a year or so) that I did this:

image.thumb.png.f88e00b75fb276c58370145cd785616d.png 

Leaving the angle on the line and using a text to position the formatted length (using the macro %(length/12).round(2)%) which is just adapting the available macro to format.

• Like 1