Light "bleed" under wall?

ADallas

I've been editing and re-editing a model, taking one physically based (ray trace) image after another, and I'm seeing what seems like sunlight coming in under one wall. This is likely due to something one-off about the wall or room spec, but I have checked both. This is a "standard" Interior-4 partition. The full .plan file is way too complicated to share. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this effect and if there is a simple solution. I don't mind modeling something "backstage" to eliminate the light leak.

image.thumb.png.94d1bd746eea67a03524251264183190.png

(BTW, I searched the forum for "physically based" OR "ray trace" and got 0 results before posting.)

Thanks, Ryan. I had a foundation, but I hadn't built the floor or wall framing. However, it didn't help. I "poured" a 6" concrete wall behind the wall that's leaking and extended it well into the terrain--2001: A Space Odyssey obelisk-style--and I still get this light effect. I'm starting to think that it's a reflection off the bright white baseboard. So I moved the obelisk to mostly cut off light entering the room from behind the camera and it still leaks under the baseboard.

Edited by ADallas
Additional testing.

3 minutes ago, ADallas said:

I'm starting to think that it's a reflection off the bright white baseboard.

It's not that. It's either an issue with the model or your render  / lighting settings.

You'd have to post the plan in order for someone to help troubleshoot this.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Robert. I'm willing to believe it's the model, because it's the digital equivalent of a posterboard study model, but attempts to block extraneous light haven't worked. I'll look into the render settings--I'm using the defaults as far as I know.

15 hours ago, Alchemyjim said:

Same problem here. I can't get this bleed to go away above the roof beams. 

I even laid a giant polyline solid over the roof surface to no avail. 

Untitled 4.jpg

That is a different issue and should have it's own thread.  Your beams are going through your roof.  Quick way to check if that is the issue is to toggle off sun and see if it goes away.

15 hours ago, ADallas said:

Thanks, Ryan. I had a foundation, but I hadn't built the floor or wall framing. However, it didn't help. I "poured" a 6" concrete wall behind the wall that's leaking and extended it well into the terrain--2001: A Space Odyssey obelisk-style--and I still get this light effect. I'm starting to think that it's a reflection off the bright white baseboard. So I moved the obelisk to mostly cut off light entering the room from behind the camera and it still leaks under the baseboard.

Quick check to see if its light bleed or where it is coming from is to toggle sun off.

1 hour ago, ADallas said:

Good idea! Turning off the sun turns off the bleed. 

image.thumb.png.2a310022d9fa2196c35b88bf8724ad73.png

So that means that something is amiss with the model.  A wall is not aligned maybe?  foundation wall to exterior of wall or???

Well, here's a simple test plan. I created a box and divided it into two rooms with a zig zag interior partition. The room on the left has two windows and the sunlight leaks into the windowless room on the right. I'm beginning to suspect a bug with Chief's ray tracing algorithm.

2022-07-27_19-53-09.jpg

2022-07-27_19-54-18.jpg

Light bleed test.plan