How to draw log walls for the restoration of a 125+ years old lake house

ChiefUserGingerP

Ginger Patterson 
Chief user since 1994, currently using CA X13 

I have been retained to renovate a 125+ year old lake house/cabin with the original log house being totally restored, the many bad additions removed, and new additions added to bring the building up-to-date. 
I have drawn new log homes and shop homes in the past, and I was able to "fake" the log walls by using an 8" or 10" solid wall with log siding.

However, this is a hand hewn log house, butt and pass, and the multiple additions are stud walls with poles attached as siding for "authenticity". The clients want to keep the original log house and fireplaces, plus remove the poles and once the new structure is in place, replace the poles. Everything that is not log or pole is board & batten. The fireplaces and columns are river rock. I will include a exterior shots.  The interior of the original log house has exposed log rafters. The pier & beam floor is not level and sits about 12" above grade. 
Indoor plumbing was added 70 years ago along the rear of the original cabin with no plan or consideration for privacy. 

This was the first dwelling constructed in what became a Country Club and golf course built and developed along Little River in Sevier County Arkansas by the great grandparents of the current owner on a large homestead. The family wants the house to be as close to the original look as possible and they are not daunted by the cost of such an undertaking.

I normally do not take remodels or additions, but this is a favor for a contractor who has been a top notch client for over 35 years. 

I cannot find a log wall in the library and I'm blank as to how to create one. 
Thanks for your consideration. I try not to be a nuisance.

Ginger Patterson
Texarkana, Arkansas 

Front entrance double doors.JPG

Front North end (1).JPG

Front showing stone FPs.JPG

South end.JPG

1 hour ago, ChiefUserGingerP said:

Ginger Patterson 
Chief user since 1994, currently using CA X13 

I have been retained to renovate a 125+ year old lake house/cabin with the original log house being totally restored, the many bad additions removed, and new additions added to bring the building up-to-date. 
I have drawn new log homes and shop homes in the past, and I was able to "fake" the log walls by using an 8" or 10" solid wall with log siding.

However, this is a hand hewn log house, butt and pass, and the multiple additions are stud walls with poles attached as siding for "authenticity". The clients want to keep the original log house and fireplaces, plus remove the poles and once the new structure is in place, replace the poles. Everything that is not log or pole is board & batten. The fireplaces and columns are river rock. I will include a exterior shots.  The interior of the original log house has exposed log rafters. The pier & beam floor is not level and sits about 12" above grade. 
Indoor plumbing was added 70 years ago along the rear of the original cabin with no plan or consideration for privacy. 

This was the first dwelling constructed in what became a Country Club and golf course built and developed along Little River in Sevier County Arkansas by the great grandparents of the current owner on a large homestead. The family wants the house to be as close to the original look as possible and they are not daunted by the cost of such an undertaking.

I normally do not take remodels or additions, but this is a favor for a contractor who has been a top notch client for over 35 years. 

I cannot find a log wall in the library and I'm blank as to how to create one. 
Thanks for your consideration. I try not to be a nuisance.

Ginger Patterson
Texarkana, Arkansas 

Front entrance double doors.JPG

Front North end (1).JPG

Front showing stone FPs.JPG

South end.JPG

I personally have done them by using a thick wall with exterior and interior layers set to log siding materials (overall thickness about the average thickness of the logs used) but It will not render super great that way and you will need to add custom corner boards with the overlapping log corners.  If you are looking for really good renders you will need to build the walls by stacking logs (see the bonus libraries available).

Thanks for your reply. I have used that method also, and I may have to on this project.
My task is to create working drawings, not renderings.

I thought there might be a log wall add-on in one of the libraries.

I've used work-arounds for years, but there are so many great libraries, and also Chief users who are masters at creating new walls. It doesn't hurt to ask and if the answer is "I have just what you need", it saves SO much time. 

Here's a pic of how I do it.

The Logs are 9" diameter "Swedish Cope" and the Chinked Wall Type is 6" thick.

I put the door and window in first and then stacked the Log Symbols (8" vertical) using the transform/replicate tool.

Stacked Log Wall.JPG

BTW, I usea a similar system for Tilt-up Concrete.

• Like 1

Ginger,

The Log Home Co. I was Drawing for (they have gone out of Business, not my fault) used a 6 1/2"x8" D Log with spline (no chinking). 

I used the layered wall as mentioned by Ryan and made up the corner logs as symbols and added them as needed.

Doors and windows cut as usual and not as time consuming as placing single logs.

Have a great week, Ken

Chase and Tonya Tunnell Perspective #3.jpg

Chase and Tonya Tunnell Perspective #4.jpg

Tunnell Kitchen.jpg

• Like 1