Tracing Terrain from an Elevation View?

kwhitt

I’ve got a set of plans from an engineer.  I am attempting to approximate the terrain by tracing a line over what is drawn in an elevation view – see attached.  So far so good, but there are no terrain tools available to me in the elevation view.  Is there an easy way to translate this to the plan view? I have tried creating a P-Solid and deriving contour lines from it – no luck.  How would you go about doing this?  It does not need to be perfect - only an approximation.  Thanks, Kevin

ELEVATION.jpg

I'd use a Terrain Perimeter and elevation lines the full width of the terrain. Figure out the elevation (heights) and locations of elevation changes (y-axis) of the terrain from the elevation drawings and input that info into your elevation lines. Very quick and very simple.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'd use a Terrain Perimeter and elevation lines the full width of the terrain. Figure out the elevation (heights) and locations of elevation changes (y-axis) of the terrain from the elevation drawings and input that info into your elevation lines. Very quick and very simple.

Thanks Rob.  That's what I ended up doing.  I thought there might be a tool for extracting from elevation view.  Would be nice as this is usually how the engineer presents to me.  Kevin

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Would be nice as this is usually how the engineer presents to me.

Sounds like you need to "train" your Engineer :) , to give you Plan Views too then, looks like he has the Info and might be a bit "lazy"

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Sounds like you need to "train" your Engineer :) , to give you Plan Views too then, looks like he has the Info and might be a bit "lazy"

M.

You might be right...

24 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Easiest Way...Use Construction Lines at your elevation changes. Construction lines can be seen on plan as well as elevation.

Thanks Renee.  That's a great tip!