Need help extending side of cabinet to rear

GeneDavis

I would not be trying this in 3D Chief unless I had seen cabinet guru Mark do it.  But I am unable to reproduce his magic, even after looking carefully at the file he uploaded here with the solution right in it.

I want to extend the left side toward the rear by 2 inches.

I have a tall 86 inch cabinet, faceframe style with 3/4" stiles, and made a solid with a 3/4 x 2 3/4" rectangular profile and 86 inch height, same as cabinet, then saved it as a symbol, a simple fixture.  Seems to be what Mark did in his file.

I turn the cab around to see the back in the cab build dialog, manipulating the faces, etc., and go with the horizontal build to do, in this order, L to R, a big wide blank area, a separation of 3/4", and then do the inserted door thing, inserting my symbol, giving it a 3/4" width, and making sure the stiles on this face are set to 0 on the R where I want this ear.

Try as I might, I cannot get the part to reach up to the 86 inch height, the top.

See the pic attached.  In Mark's file, the symbol for his extension is the cabinet height, same as me, but he has changed the origin to be up from bottom 4", and set a single stretch plan maybe 8 inches up at the top.  I tried that.  Still short by the 4 inches.

2022-07-23 18_42_43-Full Height Cabinet Specification.png

56 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I would not be trying this in 3D Chief unless I had seen cabinet guru Mark do it.  But I am unable to reproduce his magic, even after looking carefully at the file he uploaded here with the solution right in it.

I want to extend the left side toward the rear by 2 inches.

I have a tall 86 inch cabinet, faceframe style with 3/4" stiles, and made a solid with a 3/4 x 2 3/4" rectangular profile and 86 inch height, same as cabinet, then saved it as a symbol, a simple fixture.  Seems to be what Mark did in his file.

I turn the cab around to see the back in the cab build dialog, manipulating the faces, etc., and go with the horizontal build to do, in this order, L to R, a big wide blank area, a separation of 3/4", and then do the inserted door thing, inserting my symbol, giving it a 3/4" width, and making sure the stiles on this face are set to 0 on the R where I want this ear.

Try as I might, I cannot get the part to reach up to the 86 inch height, the top.

See the pic attached.  In Mark's file, the symbol for his extension is the cabinet height, same as me, but he has changed the origin to be up from bottom 4", and set a single stretch plan maybe 8 inches up at the top.  I tried that.  Still short by the 4 inches.

2022-07-23 18_42_43-Full Height Cabinet Specification.png

Hey Gene,

Can you open the appliance/ door/ drawer/ option by clicking on Specify.  Then for the top and bottom overlay change that to 3/4"?

The stretch plane needs to be above the total height to keep it from stretching.

image.thumb.png.0cb931f461b4040b0fe7fb1dc2a59d7e.pngimage.thumb.png.97ba09f8dfd5ae5b41dd124fd00c567e.png

NOTE in some cases it's a good idea to also have one the same distance in the opposite direction. I noticed this recently and think new to X14 but if I only offset width in one direction I was getting a symbol moving off center.

Here is my cabinet in a plan file all by itself, the symbol for the extended side in front of it.  Looks in 3D just like what you did, the symbol sticking through the floor finish by the 4 inches I offset the z origin.

What is the trick in getting the cab to build with this backside insertion going up to the top of the cab?

2022-07-23 23_05_36-Chief Architect Premier X14.png

2022-07-23 23_06_10-Symbol Specification.png

Cab won't build.plan

Likely has to do with how you sized the object.

I copied your symbol, opened it, changed origin back to zero, then moved the stretch plane so it is within the object allowing it to stretch.

Opened object and checked the dimensions. The object MUST be all the final dimensions you want before converting to a symbol.

Then

1. Select object,
  2. convert to a new symbol, name it
  3. moved origin,
  4. locked height by setting stretch plane outside of object.

image.thumb.png.a03b2f810d82143b16a948a73043c059.png

redone.zip

34 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The missing info was this:  that part has to be converted to a symbol of a specific kind.  I saved it as a door/drawerfront, and now the build is good.

The symbol in the plan you posted IS a cabinet door, and what you had on the back for the extended side is a cabinet door. CA won't allow you to use a different kind of symbol.

FWIW-I wanted to see if you found something new so simply added the symbol from your plan to the library. Dragged onto cabinet face in 3D, set face to be only one door high. Surprise covered to floor. SO I opened DBX, back panel, the side panel inset and specify, works fine.  Have no idea what you did that was wrong with what was used in the first place but it IS a cabinet door.

image.thumb.png.e493f464b2c06b55b40970a19a1867cd.png

Ryan a cabinet side works, I have an assortment of those sides for special purpose but -no less work, requires a symbol for each side, not as useful in schedule used for ordering cabinet