How to best draw boulder retaining wall?

GeneDavis

I draw for guys building in this rocky mountain terrain and there are always boulder walls.  How is this best done?  I've been leaving it off plans, but thought it might dress up the cartoons a little if some rocks were shown.

Artistry with John Deere and Kubota and the rocks are free, usually.

2022-07-22 13_07_28-Landscaping Retaining Walls, Boulder Retaining Walls, New Prague area Odenthal L.png

The 3d warehouse has some good boulders. (see attached)

Otherwise you could fake that by using poly-line solid tools for the wall, and adding that very same boulder image as the assigned texture. 

Snip20220722_47.png

Depending on the wall. I have used different techniques including a 3d solid with a rockery wall as the texture and then resize different boulders (from chief bonus catalog) into the wall at key points for depth.  I have done the same with just a foundation wall.  Using too many boulders will slow you down a bit though as that adds a fair amount of facet sides.

I threw this together in a couple of minutes using a Spline Distribution Path.

Lots of options for rock size, rotation, orientation, etc.

I just grabbed the first rock I could fond in the library - these are all just one rock.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 10.09.06 am.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It would be simplest to use a wall or a solid and add a texture. It won't look very realistic, but it will help to visualize. Otherwise, you could create a symbol out of several boulders (from 3d warehouse, then use a polyline distribution path to lay them out and then replicate that path to stack  / offset them into the terrain.

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Intresto looks like it has some nice Models , not sure about the poly count though, as I have not downloaded them all....

Might be an Idea to Copy this over to the Symbols Forum Rob , with a few tags to make it easier for others to find in the future...

On 7/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, GeneDavis said:

I draw for guys building in this rocky mountain terrain and there are always boulder walls.  How is this best done?  

Rob's post above of the Basalt Drystack Wall No# 3 works pretty well , and I am sure with your SU Skills you could enhance it if needed.....

I had a play in Chief and Updated the Materials somewhat with (cheap) bumpmaps  and made the materials Matte. I also added a "shadowboard" p.solid with Loam (dirt) as the material ( could be Gravel\sand\matte black etc too) as the gaps in the stones let you see right through the wall. Although it is a straight wall, it might be enough to show Clients the "idea" at least.

Plan File :                                                                                                        Symbol :  Is in the Plan....

Basalt Drystack Wall Symbol Plan.plan                                                              

image.thumb.png.098b6f1533609627fc8b8bae39128d44.png image.thumb.png.529f9315e308fb9972ad535d49c21670.png

• Upvote 3

On 7/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, GeneDavis said:

I draw for guys building in this rocky mountain terrain and there are always boulder walls.  How is this best done?  I've been leaving it off plans, but thought it might dress up the cartoons a little if some rocks were shown.

Artistry with John Deere and Kubota and the rocks are free, usually.

2022-07-22 13_07_28-Landscaping Retaining Walls, Boulder Retaining Walls, New Prague area Odenthal L.png

Hey Gene,

As long as you have your terrain elevations set the way you wan them, you can use the 'Polyline distribution region' tool and use Chief's 3D rocks  You can layer distribution regions ontop of each other with different stones in each to get a more unique look.

Finding someone on 3D warehouse is always a good idea too.

image.thumb.png.b1e53573de149ead5c79e4dd79ebde94.png

Distribution tool.JPG

Thanks to all for the contributions!  I have my trusty Sketchup Make 2017, the last one free and downloadable to one's hard drive, and won't ever have a need for the Pro version.  This makes it so I can not download most all the content on the 3D Warehouse.

So thanks to Mick and others, I now have the rock wall symbol.

Most of the walls built here use stones about the size of a mini-fridge, all handled by artists with excavators and claws, so I took the symbol and resized it x4 and it gives me the results I need to show the concept to the client.