Base Plate height + Roof

blueriver

On some of my roof planes why does it not show the plate height?  I'd like to lock the plate - that does not seem to be an option :( of all the things to lock and set i can't see why that is not one - but I at least need to know what it is - going off of my 3D image i can see it is definitely not the 11' I'm aiming for.  Any tips?

no plate height.png

Yes, wall and room with 10' ceiling set

Here is another - i want the plate height to be 16', room below ceiling set to 16'.  The baseline is right over the wall - how is the baseline 192" and the plate 176 9/16" (that i cannot change :angry: )

baseline.thumb.png.7f7b26b7d7220da85a6ca150f59a21b4.png

CA calculated vertical structure depth shows at 15". implying the roof has been moved off the plate. If you manually built the roof and then changed the room height, this could be the cause. If that is the case, select the roof planes and then move the roof in the Z direction using the transform / replicate button

• Like 1

Attaching part of the file.  I closed Chief and zipped it - hopefully this works

I usually draw my own roof planes as the auto roof usually gives ugly results lol - i gave it a try this time and it wasn't too bad - now i am going through and making it look how i want, adding gables etc.  I did have to move a couple walls in to shrink the square footage for the client, so i have been working on going around the plan adjusting the roof planes back over the walls and checking the heights...chief help roof.zip

A little embarrassed - i had baseline view turned off :rolleyes: i was mistaking it for the wall line thinking they were lined up 

I have it turned on now - i set this particular one we are looking at right on the outside of my framing...and it has baseline at 120" but plate at 106 7/8" so I'm still lost :wacko:

1599440466_baselineoverwall.thumb.png.84f5eee69a5643ce08877f7e15f4fbef.png

20 minutes ago, solver said:

Do you understand where the Baseline is?

Take the Baseline Height and subtract the Vertical Structure Depth. What number do you come up with?

Is the baseline not the bottom of the roof framing where it sits on the plate?

4 hours ago, blueriver said:

Is the baseline not the bottom of the roof framing where it sits on the plate?

No,  it is the Wall Plate Hgt eg 16' (192")  ( PLUS the VSD - Birdsmouth Depth if a Cut Roof ).

So you are forcing the Roof Plane down into the Building , by setting the baseline at the Ceiling Hgt, which is why you don't see a Top Plate in some of your DBX's. , this is one GOOD reason to always let Chief Auto build the Roof Planes 1st then do some clean up and any changes as needed. As long as you set the RWD's 1st the Autobuild should get you 50% - 85% of the way there and save you time.

image.thumb.png.ca5f3df780bf6656b1127a4b495629db.png

Framing is crazy for having many different regional names for things............HAP, heel height, etc.

If a plan was to have the facia match at the same elevation (typ), as well as the overhangs be equal all the way around the house (on a bastard roof), we would raise the plate height on the steeper pitch portions.  I would CAD the entire roof the night before I started cutting to make sure everything would work.  Most plans are not very detailed for production.  I still go to this level if I'm framing the roof.  If not, I don't include this level of detail because it's confusing to some.

CleanShot 2022-07-24 at 11.44.30.png