shadows are offset in layout elevation

deaconjj

Please advise... In my ordinary elevation view of the model (.plan), it shows correctly. When I send to layout, the shadows are offset. I've opened and closed the file, sent the elevation "live" to layout (which worked, but I don't want it live), and when I switched to "plot lines", the shadows offset again. Crazy....

elev-shadow.jpg

@deaconjj

I'd suggest that you try deleting the view from layout, then re-sending it to layout using plot lines.

I can recreate the odd shadows in layout by making a very large terrain. I was able to 'fix' this by clipping the sides of the elevation camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deaconjj said:

Please advise... In my ordinary elevation view of the model (.plan), it shows correctly. When I send to layout, the shadows are offset. I've opened and closed the file, sent the elevation "live" to layout (which worked, but I don't want it live), and when I switched to "plot lines", the shadows offset again. Crazy....

Known issue. If you have color fill turned on, the color will also be offset. I've reported this issue to tech support - their solution is the workaround suggested by @robdyck: clip the section/elevation camera to sides and elevation, then refresh the camera view. For me, this solution only works if I open the camera view from layout, clip, close, refresh; if I open if from plan the workaround fails. This problem goes back at least as far as X10, when I first reported it to tech support.

1 minute ago, deaconjj said:

@ Robert Dyck thank you. I tried all you said, but no dice. I must be having a local computer issue.  

If you want to send me the plan and layout files, I'll see if i can find a solution. You can PM me a link if you don't want to post it here.

7 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Known issue. If you have color fill turned on, the color will also be offset. I've reported this issue to tech support - their solution is the workaround suggested by @robdyck: clip the section/elevation camera to sides and elevation, then refresh the camera view. For me, this solution only works if I open the camera view from layout, clip, close, refresh; if I open if from plan the workaround fails. This problem goes back at least as far as X10, when I first reported it to tech support.

Thank you, Robert. I followed the instructions and opened from layout, and it still doesn't work. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, deaconjj said:

Thank you, Robert. I followed the instructions and opened from layout, and it still doesn't work. Thank you.

Try closing Chief completely, open only the Layout - do not open the Plan file - then double click the Layout box with the problem view, adjust the clipping, then close the view and refresh. Sometimes I have to follow this specific sequence to get results.

28 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Try closing Chief completely, open only the Layout - do not open the Plan file - then double click the Layout box with the problem view, adjust the clipping, then close the view and refresh. Sometimes I have to follow this specific sequence to get results.

I tried it, still no dice. I feel like I just lost a day fighting a bug in Chief....I'll contact tech support tomorrow. The only other thing I can think of is that this file was shared with my drafter, and she said it was crashing on her computer, so maybe it got corrupted?     Thanks all for your help!

Just to circle back, I spoke with Tyler at Chief Support - super helpful. This is a new issue to them, somewhat related to other issues with the graphics display scaling setting. I have  a 4K laptop screen, scaled 250%. The temporary fix is to get the scaling to 100% (and adjust resolution accordingly).  Not ideal, but it works, and Chief will address the issue in a future patch. Thanks for all the great help!

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

try the .latest x14 update put out yesterday, Chief did a fix for screen scaling if it's over 100.

Thanks! I had already reinstalled Chief this morning (with the new fix) before calling tech support. It didn't work, but Tyler told me the temporary fix for my issue was to change scaling to 100%. Thanks again.