Stacked Joists Running Perpendicular?

HumbleChief

I've got a simple condition with a partial raised second floor that has 2 x 12's stacked on top of each other. Lower layer running one direction and upper level running perpendicular to that lower level. Simple to detail and not that important for the ConDocs but is there a way to run one layer one direction and the other layer perp? Other than manual framing members?

I'd just do it manually. I'd find it quicker than any other method. Every other method (for me) would take more clicks, and if it needed to be accurate, would still require editing.

Just make sure the model has the space, then build and edit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I'd just do it manually. I'd find it quicker than any other method. Every other method (for me) would take more clicks, and if it needed to be accurate, would still require editing.

THANKS, I did find a way to auto build it but too much work. Will probably do nothing unless a ConDoc needs the attention.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:17 PM, robdyck said:

I would probably do this as well but I would use two layers of joists and just rotate the top layer and do the editing that way.

image.thumb.png.b171dcb1115b0f8496761534692ed1ee.pngimage.thumb.png.01efc4df7035e5009c861eb6deeab028.pngimage.thumb.png.b5653ac50fe86f05ad388fa3b7a5fd0c.png

35 minutes ago, glennw said:

As Perry says, I would definitely use a Ceiling Plan placed under the floor joists.

Easy to control framing sizes, types and direction

Maybe I am missing a step in my head here but wouldn’t that build inside the wall framing instead of atop?  

the ceiling plane method will stop the walls on the first floor at the ceiling plane level. for the exterior walls to go to the 2nd floor stop the ceiling plane at the inside drywall, the exterior wall will continue to the upper floor joists. good for 2nd floor addition overbuilds. When I don't need the show the floor joists on the architectural sections I will use the single floor system method b/c the framing plans will show the different directions. Aproblem using the ceiling plane method is that it messes with your ceiling heights in the room label and you must set that msnually.

Thanks so much for the ideas and comments. Just tried the ceiling plane method and it seems to work well but just to add a couple details to the technique and correct please if mistaken.

1. Set up first floor default structure at 8 ft. plus the height of the 2 x 12' ( in this case) framing for the ceiling plane.

2. Second floor default to 8ft.

3. Back to first floor and draw in new ceiling plane.

4. Set the structure of the CP to 2 x 12 (11.25")

5. Set new ceiling plane's pitch to '0' .

6. Lock pitch at '0' and set 'ridge' height 11.25" lower than default value.

7. Hit OK.

8. Thank Perry for the great idea.

Thanks P.

• Upvote 1