X7 Availability For Ssa Users

Dennis_Gavin

Not in my locker either, IMO....I think if you haven't updated your SSA or are about to, (mine is due for renewal in 22 days) they may be holding back to see of we/I upsate SSA. Just spoke to Tech Support.....no upgrade/update unless I spend yet another $445.00.  Another year of this and we're up to the cost of Revit.

I think if you haven't updated your SSA or are about to

Doug:

CA is saying that SSA must be active on Mar 5 or no beta

I can't find this in writing anywhere nor have I ever seen such a policy

for prior releases

just a flat out annoyance :(

Lew

I think if you haven't updated your SSA or are about to

Doug:

CA is saying that SSA must be active on Mar 5 or no beta

I can't find this in writing anywhere nor have I ever seen such a policy

for prior releases

just a flat out annoyance :(

Lew

It's not in writing and the web site actually says, in writing,  "Already have SSA? Log in and upgrade to the X7 beta today."

That quote above is not ambiguous. There are no stated caveats and even if there were it's still just plain bad policy IMO.

It's been suggested that legally they are under no obligation to give 'about to expire SSA'ers' the beta or are they? Doesn't the above quote define the policy? Or at the very least it should reflect the policy more accurately with one of those crap asterisk fine print BS thingys that states you can't get it if your SSA doesn't fit a certain criteria.

I don't know about everyone but after using the Beta, I just can't go back. For those on the fence, beware, if you get the beta, you might be very angry when its time to go back. It happens to me every year so I just pay it b/c there is always something in every new version that saves me time.

I don't see anything listed in the benefits of SSA that includes test driving unreleased software.  A beta version is not an update, major release, or new version.  So, they have decided to give SSA users who are current with the expected release date the use of beta version.  Nice, they could have just as well not allowed any user regardless of status to have access.

There is also nothing listed in the benefits of SSA that excludes certain users from certain releases. If there is I'd like to see it. If it's not there then it's an arbitrary decision whose purpose is a mystery to me.

The web page (which should be a direct reflection of the policy) linked to above clearly says what it says. There's no caveats. There's no disclaimers.

And the Public Beta is clearly NOT 'unreleased software'. It's been released to all of the SSA subscribers except for those few as described above.

Then, "They could have just released it to no one (sic)." C'mon Bill. Keep it interesting at least.

I actually totally see your point and as you stated, "...they decided..." I just think they decided wrong.

I don't know about everyone but after using the Beta, I just can't go back. For those on the fence, beware, if you get the beta, you might be very angry when its time to go back. It happens to me every year so I just pay it b/c there is always something in every new version that saves me time.

I called the sales staff and they claimed that one reason to keep the Beta out of users hands whose SSA is about to expire is to protect them from having X7 files that they can't open in X6 if they choose not to renew their SSA.

I suggested that it might not be wise to design policy around stupidity. How truly stupid would you have to be to get the Beta of X7, create an important plan set, then not renew your SSA, and not only lose the ability to work in X7 but have to create the plan file all over again in X6?

Which makes an even better point for giving X7 to every SSA member. If you have X7 Beta and do create a plan file using X7 you better renew your SSA or you don't have access to that plan file any more.

But wait there's more :D (and this is not directed at you Perry) the idea of a public Beta is to get as many eyes on the 'release' as possible. How does this policy serve that goal?

My current SSA expires in June so I don't have a real dog in this hunt - I just think the policy is wrong and serves no purpose I can see.

It creates fewer 'eyes' on the software to map out and document bugs. It creates a situation where certain SSA users are less motivated to renew their SSA, it creates bad will between some customers, and the upside?

I honestly cannot find one.

Ok, I now have X7 beta and it expires Feb 1 - which is my SSA renewal date

CA is reviewing their policy and asks that anyone concerned about this to

contact customer service to discuss

I am loading X7 libraries and will give it a whirl

Yes, I will renew my SSA before Feb 1 :)

Lew

I was talking to a couple of the CA people at IBS/KBIS in Las Vegas this morning.  I can assure you that there were som choice words used about you.  :D

I refuse to tell you who I was talking to or anything about Chief's development plans for the coming year. :P

And he hates old people like me.

Beta software is not the same as released software.  Chief gets to decide who can have the beta.  They have already had the private beta going on for months and I know that not everyone that wanted to be on it was let on the team.  The only real difference between the public beta and the private beta is that they are not being so picky about who can join and now you don't even have to sign an nda.

I'm sure that if Chief let people have the beta and then their ssa expired before the release that they would then complain very loudly about not being able to finish their plans.  I would bet that Chief has had this problem before which is why they have this policy to begin with.  As far as I know, this was the same policy that they had with X6 beta.

I think some people are making way too big of a deal about this.  If you want the beta and your ssa is going to expire soon, then just renew it.  If you are not sure, then download the trial and then make up your mind.

• Upvote 3

Putting a pet down or if one dies is like loosing a family member for some of us.

We have to grieve in some way and it is not a nice experience.

To lose your loyal design buddy would hurt allot.

But I hope that having a new baby design buddy when you are up for it will help you grieve and feel a bit better I hope.

If you are not sure, then download the trial and then make up your mind.

Arthur

I would if the bloody thing was in my locker but it's not. Now Lew has his in his locker and his SSA expires on the 1st Feb. Mine expires on the 12th Feb. but it's still not there.