X7 Availability For Ssa Users

Dennis_Gavin

I first purchased Chief in 1994 (V4) and have upgraded every release since. My SSA expires on the 12 Feb and there is nothing in my locker re X7.If I can't d/load X7 beta even tho my SSA is still current, I wont be paying my SSA renewal. I'm with Lew on this one. After 20 years of loyal service it means nothing. Customer loyalty has left the building.

I think there may be a problem in that if you upgrade your X6 to Beta X7, your Activation Code gets replaced with the new X7 activation code. So if you don't have a valid X7 license when the release is out, you may be SOL in trying to get back to your old X6 activation number. I find it interesting that people believe that with an SSA, they have some sort of "right" to an unreleased beta version, even if only temporary.

I first purchased Chief in 1994 (V4) and have upgraded every release since. My SSA expires on the 12 Feb and there is nothing in my locker re X7.If I can't d/load X7 beta even tho my SSA is still current, I wont be paying my SSA renewal. I'm with Lew on this one. After 20 years of loyal service it means nothing. Customer loyalty has left the building.

Len, you nailed it. Very sad that CA has taken the approach they have with Lew. Instead of turning this into something positive, CA has missed the boat as they are prone to do. This is not the first time they have bungled a "feel good" moment. Does anybody feel any more loyalty towards CA after this?

I don't.

Just sad, if I had some where else to go, I would.

I think there may be a problem in that if you upgrade your X6 to Beta X7, your Activation Code gets replaced with the new X7 activation code. So if you don't have a valid X7 license when the release is out, you may be SOL in trying to get back to your old X6 activation number. I find it interesting that people believe that with an SSA, they have some sort of "right" to an unreleased beta version, even if only temporary.

Correct, Lew has no right to special privileges,....... but sometimes due to extinguishing circumstances, we make allowances.......

FYI  was looking as SSA page since I figured I missed something  and  if you don't pay your SSA and it expires , then you have to pay the Upgrade price instead IF there has been a major release.... so it would cost you double what SSA is worth.... 

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/ssa/

In 8 years I don't think I have had a "feel good" moment in relation to Chief, quite the opposite , I think they have dropped the ball too...Long time forum members are essential here...we pick there brain everyday.

M.

I find it interesting that people believe that with an SSA, they have some sort of "right" to an unreleased beta version, even if only temporary

Richard:

yep, this is exactly what I believe

Scott:

not asking for special privileges - just what I believe SSA was suppose to include

I have tons of money, I could renew without even thinking about it

I've spent over $10,000 so far on my dog and will spend more if it saves his life

It's the principle....

Lew

I have pointed this thread out to the person that has the authority to make a change in our policy.

I would encourage calling our sales team to talk about your options as they are better equipped to explain our policy. However, I would ask that you wait until Monday as many of them are traveling back from the IBS/KBIS trade show today so we are light on staff at the moment.

I agree my ssa expires February 1st all so an I ran into this before. I have always loved the program and been proud of the program and had the illusion that we are all part of the Chief Family. In Oct I went to the remodel show in Balitimore. I must admitt I was really looking forward to stopping by the Chief booth. I chief rep that was there came across as a total jerk. As we walked away my wife who never has anything negative to say just said wow that was disappointing. I was really disappointed I told her then that if I didn't have so much time invested in this program I would find something else. So this ssa situation and a couple of times I have spoken tech support with less than satisfactory results it seams to be more of a company thing . I hope Scott (I think was the rep at shows name) was just having a bad day and I just happened to be the customer that already had the program and he didn't need waste nice cells on. Hope they did better job in Las Vegas.

lew thanks for your post over the years you have been a big help to me

Good customer service is what keeps people on board and if policy needs to be adjusted to serve that purpose then good.

Companies spend allot of money on advertising but good customer service is good advertising.

Why not be fair and give a bonus to long time users or loyal SSA payers?

If you keep SSA current for 5 year's straight why not give the next year for free as part of loyal use?

If you are business smart you will avoid shooting yoursef in the foot by unfair policy.

If you keep SSA current for 5 year's straight why not give the next year for free as part of loyal use?

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement!

CA are a business, they don't give product away, and it is good value for money!

Whether a person feels that Lew has a point or not is a different argument, and I reckon Lew would be the first to agree that CA is good value for money.

New Features/Facts about the upgrade are posted and readily available for you to make a decision

I've already seen this - that's not why I am slow in renewing

I went on Jan 21 to get the beta and I'm excluded

I shouldn't be excluded with an active SSA - ticks me off :(

Lew

In my opinion companies develop policies for many reasons but two of them are 1.To help develop customer loyalty and 2. to prevent damage to the company. Chief has added many features and benefits for its users and this forum is a perfect example. They are under no contractual obligation to offer this forum but they do for reason number one and it doesn't violate reason number two.

If the company gave away free updates to anyone they would violate reason number two and cause genuine damage to the company's profits and their ability to even exist as a company.

Now to the issue that Lew brings up. Sure the company is not contractually obligated to give the public beta to its end of service SSA members but what harm is caused the company by adding the 'Public Beta' to those whose SSA expires before the official release day? Will they steal it? Will they abuse it in some way that causes harm to the company?

On the other side how much customer loyalty is added by doing so?

Policies are there for a reason and they should be adhered to to create a firm foundation for customer expectations but they can also change. I think it's time this policy changes.

I think I just answered myself.  Here it is. http://www.chiefarchitect.com/whats-new/

From the link above.

"Already have SSA? Log in and upgrade to the X7 beta today."

Seems clear enough and I think this statement meets current SSA customer's expectations. No where does it say "Already have SSA (and it doesn't expire before the official release date for X7) Log In and upgrade to the X7 beta today."

I'm beginning to think this policy is just an oversight - it makes so little sense.