being pissy - your damn right I am :(

Lew

You wont miss anything that is in X7 or should I say X6.5

Graeme:

I agree with the X6.5

from what I can see so far

that's one reason why I delayed renewing SSA

if the upgrade lacks WOW then ???

If I were still in business I would renew regardless of 6.5 or CA's annoying policy

but for my needs now X6 will do me fine

Lew

I don't know how Chief handles these things but last

year I took a year off from renewing my Solidworks

seat. The Solidworks equivalent of Chief's SSA runs

close to $1600 a year. When I looked into reviving

my subscription they were happy to waive the

arbitrarily imposed $500 penalty for letting my seat

expire and reinstate me like I had never left. Maybe

you can just take a year off from Chief also.

Hmmm, this is what CA states on their website:

Receive new releases, updates and upgrades at no charge. All software is distributed electronically as a download service. An optional Backup DVD is available. Academic network licenses — a fee may be incurred if you do not exchange your hardware lock key. In order to access updates and upgrades your licensed product must be registered.

Where is the March 15 cutoff being posted ???

Lew

Rich:

when a vendor ticks me off - I rarely go back

I was with Directv for 15 years thru 4 houses and switched to Time-Warner

when Directiv told me the issue at my new house was un-grounded outlets

it was a BS reply for "We don't know what the issue is"

I've been gone since Dec 2012 

when I receive their "please come back" coupons

they go right in the trash

the majority of Chiefers have a Feb 1 renewal date

so we should have had 11 days of access to X7 beta

with the software locks CA can kill the license anytime they want

Lew

Lew first sorry about your health issues and pray things work out for you, I guess there reason is with there release date of March that is when it is official and all  who have there ssa would get the x7, when they started ssa I thought we would be getting new features as they came available not just updates

Ray:

with an active SSA we are "suppose" to get anything CA releases

so I should have 11 days of X7 beta - more if I renew

when the official releases came out in the past the beta licenses were set to terminate

with the software locks, CA has total control how long the software can be used

I don't like this "shifting sands" policies

This is one reason why I always get the hardware lock

I can continue to use X6 and CA can never stop me ....

Lew

X7 is not yet a released product

yep, and I guess I won't be able to see it then

I received a reply from CA and the "official" release date is Mar 5

I replied back that I found this new policy "unacceptable"

and that it was time for me to say BYE

Lew

While this issue doesn't effect me as I am paid up , I too assumed that if you had SSA in good standing you got anything Released ( perhaps I didnt see the small print either?), so I can see Lew's point , especially since it is only a Beta , and I assume it will expire 30 days (?) after the release of the Full Version , I am unsure how it could hurt anything , infact I would of thought the opposite....ie the Beta would encourage an upgrade.

Would it not better to ProRate the SSA so everyone was on July 1st for example and this becomes a non-issue ?

Times are tough out here ,and about to get tougher here, I think, after our Govt. dropped int rates yest. and scared the crap out of everyone with talk of another recession , so something else Chief could contemplate would be a monthly $40 SSA fee instead of a $465 hit all at once ,which can be tough in any particular month if you have other emergency expenses, another benefit with monthly is no-one would ever be "Out of date"  thus no chance of losing a Customer and Chief would have a guaranteed monthly income...usually a good thing.

What is the SSA cutoff date for the Full X7 then if it's not the Release Date ? 

M.

Still haven't seen the beta in my digital locker yet. Just renewed SSA a few weeks ago. Oh well, back to work I guess. Im to busy at the moment to transfer all my crap anyway haha. Crap meaning my defaults, templates etc of course.

Off topic a bit, but would anyone else find it useful to be able to group select a polyline for example- and be able to take one side of that and make parallel to another object.

Example of this would be a site plan (property line is a poly) that is not square. Lets say I get a cad file from the surveyor for a subdivision. Scale it up and grab a lot to use for my site plan. Turn on show angle etc and lets say the front is 90.12131 degrees and the sides are 180.112 degrees (so its skewed). Well If I want to square it up to the house with the front property line there is no way to group select the entire property line and make parallel. Sure you can grab the front line and make parallel on its own but then you have to chase the angles around the rest of the property lol! Dang, does anyone else feel my pain? Only way I have found around is to just manually square it up to 90 degrees by holding the cmd button and carefully rotating  -.12131 degrees. You gotta zoom in quite a bit to get down that low lol.

I typically design 2500-4500 s.f. customs for a few large builders here in the NW. Last year I did roughly 70+ site plans so doing that method gets real old fast. And yes I honestly did about 70 something customs last year, it was a good year! Not to mention now am working on a 32 unit Townhouse project with a lot of site plans needed all at once across 6 different designs. So having this feature would be really nice! BTW I'm new to the forum. Been a user for a while but usually just creep on what you guys are talking about without engaging haha!

If anyone has an easier work around I would be most grateful if you would let me in on you're secret haha. Thanks in advance!

Kc

Kc

not sure if it is what did it for me , but I downloaded the X6 File in my Locker again to see if it would "wake up" my locker , and it seemed to work as I then got the X7 link just after.

coincidence ?  

you might want to copy and paste the rest into the Q&A section as a new question so more people see it ...perhaps into the Suggestions are too...

Richard you are the man! I just tried it out and it works perfect! I knew it was something that I was just missing. That will be so much easier. I have used that tool a lot for re sizing stuff but didnt even realize that it has a rotate option, I must be blind haha. Thank you very much for that!

Mick I will definitely try that for the download. Yes I should post that question as you mention and put Richards response to it as well so if anyone else sees it, that may help them. 

Thanks guys, this forum is great! Going to have to check in more often. Have a great day!

Kc

Glenn, that is awesome! Just tried it and when the dialog box came up it was like magic haha! Even better! But both are helpful in many situations I'm sure. I really appreciate it guys! I will post this to the main forum to hopefully help a few other out. Have a great rest of you're day!

SSA is active to Feb 1

I should be able to get the beta now

and if I don't renew SSA then it should cease to work

I agree with this Lew and if the policy hasn't changed I suggest it does - now. I think a user who has SSA should be entitled to everything new that's released then renew SSA or not at their discretion. If X7 is released on March 15th and your SSA ends on March 16th you get that version I would think. I don't like policy either.