Face mounted deck railing, is that still a manual thing?

zowie123

Hi Guys, 

Just wondering if x14 has addressed this missing piece of face mounted deck railing. 

Is the fastest solution to build it in solids, create a symbol and stick it on? 

Or perhaps find the closest auto generate railing, change that to a symbol, add face connections to that symbol then stick it on the face?

In the past I've tried offsetting the railing, but found it creates more issues than it's worth.  

Thank you,

Barry

• Upvote 1

You could try offsetting the posts the 1 13/16" (not sure it's just my chief or how they have it programmed, but anything less than 1 13/16 will cut the panel).

Then whatever 'panel' you are using for the railings, open it in symbol editor and offset it in the "y" position 1 3/4".  If it's a chief installed or manufacture's panel, you'll need to copy it into your own custom library first in order to edit it.

I don't have the particular railing the person in the video before me has so you'll want to try to find or build one that matches the style you're looking for.  Once it's saved, you should be able to access it from your library as a panel whenever you want.

Trying searching the Forum for Fascia Mounted Railings  there are a number of posts on the technique involving an invisible layer added to the Wall

to push the railing out and then pulling the railing down in an Elevation View......  this is from a test plan in X12 , but not sure much has changed since then.

image.thumb.png.0621f00f330559a1c025282e3f82f4a9.png

• Upvote 1

As others have already said, lot of different methods.  All of them are pretty kludgy and the best method depends on the situation and on your preferred workflow, but i think one of the easiest is this:

1. Build your deck room
  2. Turn off Auto regenerate... and check Keep deck framing...
  3. Move your railings out the thickness of your newels
  4. Select the deck room and lower the floor to drop the railing bottom

Some of the drawbacks to this method are immediately obvious.  A couple others that may not be though:

• Any automatically displayed floor or ceiling heights may be incorrect
  • Connected stairs need to have their top or bottom heights set manually
  • You need to adjust the railing height to account for the extra height difference