Issues with PBR (real-time raytraces) - Plant files

DeLayDesign

Hey Experts,

I've already reached out to Chief about this issue, but I was curious if I was the only one who is experiencing it.

I've during a PBR when doing an interior Physics Based Render, the plant image files You can see through windows for exterior landscaping disappear.  Even though they are active.  Additionally doing exterior PBRs the plant files don't appear to be casing a shadow.  If I run a normal retrace everything works fine.  Plant files show up and plant files create shadows in normal raytracer.

In my examples (no where near complete) you can see what I'm referring to.

Am I the only one?

Vector View Interior

Standard View.JPG

PBR Interior

PBR View.JPG

PBR Exterior

Belcourt Exterior Raytrace 6 PBR(07.15.22).JPG

Normal Raytracer Exterior

Belcourt Exterior Raytrace 6 raytrace (07.15.22) - highlighted.jpg

On 7/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, DeLayDesign said:

the plant image files You can see through windows for exterior landscaping disappear

Apparently new in X14- 2D plants aren't showing through windows, 3D are fine. image.thumb.png.f9f6c4f9d3464f857bf83c99c0e8c582.png

Work around is change the glass to insulation air gap.image.thumb.png.e683d04d8f8f451afc01fbdabacee982.png

Shadows are working on 3D plants in all view types for me though.

image.thumb.png.a11157169f50da1da882f99f9ff2d606.png

On 7/17/2022 at 8:16 AM, MarkMc said:

Apparently new in X14- 2D plants aren't showing through windows, 3D are fine. image.thumb.png.f9f6c4f9d3464f857bf83c99c0e8c582.png

Work around is change the glass to insulation air gap.image.thumb.png.e683d04d8f8f451afc01fbdabacee982.png

Shadows are working on 3D plants in all view types for me though.

image.thumb.png.a11157169f50da1da882f99f9ff2d606.png

Chief says it's a known issue and they are working on it, but they gave a similar option to what you recommended.

My issue with it, is a lack of 'glass' texture in windows would take away from the realism.  I can use 3D plants to accomplish the look as well, but most of my planting beds are saved using Image files.  I would just need to take time to update the beds w/ 3D items, which is just annoying more than anything.

I suppose my biggest grip with it, is it seemed to work fine in other versions, but X14 is really struggling.

25 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

My issue with it, is a lack of 'glass' texture in windows would take away from the realism.  I can use 3D plants to accomplish the look as wel

Did you try Kbirds tip for turning off refraction? it shows shadows and 2D plants.

image.thumb.png.c64c4eeecd262bf22bb2c5df838a9a16.png

You said showing shadows was important but now say you use 2d plants which never could show them.

3 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Did you try Kbirds tip for turning off refraction? it shows shadows and 2D plants.

image.thumb.png.c64c4eeecd262bf22bb2c5df838a9a16.png

You said showing shadows was important but now say you use 2d plants which never could show them.

2D plants can show shadows, just not in PBR (apparently).  Turning off Refractions does resolve the image files not showing up through a window, but does not seem to help with Shadows.

This is something Chief says they are 'working on resolving'

6 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

2D plants can show shadows,

That has only ever been in CPU based RT. PBR always needed 3D plants for shadows even before RT was added to PBR.

To me nothing has been lost, just not all you want added. Suppose it would be nice when they improve it.