Wall Types in conjunction with Material Regions

Joe_Carrick

With the new Mitered Material Regions I thought i'd try something with "Structural Wall Types".

Specifically I wanted to limit my Wall Types to just the structural elements. ie:

• SIP's
  • CMU's
  • Concrete
  • etc.

and then add Wall Material Regions to the Interior and Exterior.  This works - but only to a point.  The problems I've come up against are:

• Doors and Windows don't recognize the thicknesses of the WMR's as a part of the wall, so casings, etc are not automatically where desired.
  • When a WMR covers the entire wall surface I can't select the wall in 3D.
  • WMR Fills don't show in Plan Views
  • Wall Schedules don't include the WMR's

If these things could be overcome I would probably change my approach to Wall Types entirely.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Just curious…

Why?

It would simplify the Wall Types by having only about 8-10 Wall Types (Just the Structural Layers)

All Finish Layers would be WMR's.   

Currently I have about 100 Wall Types in my Library - various structural mixed with all sorts of finishes.

IOW, I wouldn't need different Wall Types for every possible set of Finish Layers - Interior & Exterior.

43 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It would simplify the Wall Types by having only about 8-10 Wall Types (Just the Structural Layers)

All Finish Layers would be WMR's.   

Currently I have about 100 Wall Types in my Library - various structural mixed with all sorts of finishes.

IOW, I wouldn't need different Wall Types for every possible set of Finish Layers - Interior & Exterior.

That is alot of wall types.

You'd be trading a lot of wall types for a lot of manual material regions....good luck with that!;) Maybe you're on to something that I don't understand...entirely possible.

I only install siding or drywall manually when I absolutely have to.

• Upvote 1

So, by way of explanation, I'm doing a project with SIPs.  I have 2 thicknesses of the SIPs (4" & 6") and the following wall surfaces:

• 5/8" Drywall both sides
  • 5/8" Drywall Interior 1" Stucco Exterior
  • 5/8" Drywall one side - other side exposed framing
  • 1" Stucco both sides
  • Stone Veneer Exterior 5/8" Drywall Interior
  • Stone Veneer Exterior - other side exposed framing

So that can add up to a total of 12 Wall Types - just for this project alone.

OTOH, it's only 2 basic Structural Walls & 3 sets of Finish Layers which could be WMR's. 

Based on the possibility of Stud Wall, CMUs, Concrete, etc plus a couple of other finishes it's easily possible to wind up with another 40-50 distinct Wall Assemblies.  In order to avoid having to define several wall types for each new project I save them in  my Library.

This is why I would consider changing my methodology - but only if I could still have the full wall definition in the Wall Schedule.

• Like 1