Adding post for landings and stairs.

Catch22

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Is this still the correct answer?    Just to copy and  past the deck post and footers to the stairs and landing and adjust to fit under the stairs and landing.    I’ve watched several hours worth of videos and can’t seem to find the answer but I found this in the search function 

Thanks 

Matthew x14

ECF0E095-32E1-4FCE-A513-348B10F9274F.thumb.jpeg.80b3d225342f68782e0515f87cf942ec.jpeg

2 hours ago, Catch22 said:

Is this still the correct answer?    Just to copy and  past the deck post and footers to the stairs and landing and adjust to fit under the stairs and landing.    I’ve watched several hours worth of videos and can’t seem to find the answer but I found this in the search function 

Thanks 

Matthew x14

ECF0E095-32E1-4FCE-A513-348B10F9274F.thumb.jpeg.80b3d225342f68782e0515f87cf942ec.jpeg

As I put in your other post Landings are meant to be used as an interior landing between or on top of supporting walls.  There is no such thing as a deck landing really.  It is a small deck that the elevation is set with the floor elevation in the room dbx for that small deck.  Then you can get beams and posts to auto build. 

That being said 99% of the time I am reframing my decks a different way than most using flush beams posts at the edges, etc.   So I seldomly use any type of auto framing (other than to get the base of the rim joists and joists in place before turning on retain framing and manually adjusting it and adding my posts with the Post tool.

6 hours ago, Catch22 said:

Thanks Ryan and robdyck.    

I’ll play around with making the landing a small deck, then add the post to the stairs manually.  

I will just point out that using a 'deck' or a 'landing' has their own pros and cons. I ALWAYS use a landing between exterior split stairs because the landing elevation height updates automatically.

23 hours ago, robdyck said:

I will just point out that using a 'deck' or a 'landing' has their own pros and cons. I ALWAYS use a landing between exterior split stairs because the landing elevation height updates automatically.

Yeah. I didn't even attempt changing it to a deck, that seemed way more difficult,  I just copied one post with footer and placed it where I needed it then adjusted the hight then copied that one to the other locations.   These post are just window dressing so to speak.   I don't provide any type of materials list or cut sheet.   They know how to build the deck, landing and stairs, I just need it to look good.       I really appreciate your reply  

On 7/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, robdyck said:

I am typically showing a floor framing plan including decks so I almost ALWAYS use a small deck.  A hint if you want to not mess with figuring heights is do it with a landing then turn off auto heights remove the landing and place the deck with the same elevation as the landing was at.

11 hours ago, rgardner said:

I am typically showing a floor framing plan including decks so I almost ALWAYS use a small deck.  A hint if you want to not mess with figuring heights is do it with a landing then turn off auto heights remove the landing and place the deck with the same elevation as the landing was at.

If I needed to show a framing plan, I would do exactly what you do. Typically, all I need to show is a beam (if any), posts & footings and a joist spec. arrow.

And, just for context, where I live, exterior deck stairs and landings are usually custom built out of aluminum and powder coated. Same with deck railings.

11 minutes ago, robdyck said:

where I live, exterior deck stairs and landings are usually custom built out of aluminum and powder coated. Same with deck railings.

Interesting.  That must be quite expensive in that area.  Is that for the snow build-up?

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Interesting.  That must be quite expensive in that area.  Is that for the snow build-up?

It is relatively expensive. Around here, there is a priority on maintenance free materials. You'll rarely see any exposed wood on the exterior. Almost all decks are covered in waterproof vinyl decking membrane and the framing (posts and deck perimeter) is always capped with custom bent aluminum cladding. 

Generally speaking, in smaller cities, where there is a rural or blue collar influence (customers with more building knowledge and $$) and less competition among builders, the customers aren't interested in temporary decks, stairs, railings, etc. 

In the larger cities, where there is more competition amongst builders, a lower quality of construction would be prevalent in order to hit certain price points, relative to the target customer base and the spec. of the neighborhood.