Extended ear on face framed cabinet

Larry_Sweeney

I'm working with framed cabinets. I want to extend the face frame 3/4" beyond one side on the face of a cabinet. (I refer this as a "cabinet ear") I thought that this was possible in CA now, but I can't find any info on how to do this. Am I having another "senior moment" or can this be accomplished? If so, pointing me toward the information will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I was asking about one side, but I would be curious about both.  My solution/work around for extending the side (with an "ear") is to layout the cabinet face on a cabinet side with the front of the cabinet looking like the side. I "think" this is the only way it can be accomplished. If both sides needed to be extended, for whatever reason, then I don't know the solution. My "ears are open" Eric, if you have a solution. 

28 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to extend the side panel 3/4" beyond the back of a cabinet? I think this may be a problem.

Not that I know of.  It's also not something that Cabinet Manufacturers typically provide.

If it's to be a finished side, I would add a Side Panel as a separate item.  Just be aware that cabinet box construction has become pretty much standardized - not just in Chief but in the Cabinet Fabrication Industry.  Box sides, backs, tops and bottoms are standardized components.  Face_Frames, Doors and Drawer_Fronts are the custom components.  Some manufacturers limit the cabinet dimensions to 3" increments while others will allow sizing to the 1/16".

Joe........................My thoughts with this question is with custom built cabinets and designing using CA as how they would actually be built. Many times, over years with building custom cabinets, I would build an extended "ear" on the side panels so it could then be scribed to an out of plumb wall.  Of course, this doesn't pertain to new construction ;), but in dealing with much older remodeling it is common.

15 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I would build an extended "ear" on the side panels so it could then be scribed to an out of plumb wall.

So what you want is the ability to specify "Extend End Panel(s) to the back".  I would assume that would only be for "Finised Ends". 

None of the manufacturers I work with have that option.  I would have to specifiy it in "Special Instructions" but that would work.

As I said before, I would just specify a special "Door" or "Panel" to be applied to the cabinet to perform the scribe function.  Most modern cabinets have sides that extend about 1/8" beyond the actual back of the cabinet.

24 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Ryan.....................Interesting, but I'm not understanding how/what you are showing me. Either I haven't had enough coffee or this "Covid" thing is still kicking me in the butt. :huh:

Larry, you have to use the quote system or the at symbol or Ryan won’t know that you responded.

Ryan is showing you that he modified the “Left” face configuration of his cabinet symbol and adjusted the left reveal of that face as shown in his screenshot

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Larry, you have to use the quote system or the at symbol or Ryan won’t know that you responded.

Ryan is showing you that he modified the “Left” face configuration of his cabinet symbol and adjusted the left reveal of that face as shown in his screenshot

Rene...................Thanks for the "heads up". I guess I'm having another "senior moment" (as you can tell, I use "senior moment" quite often. It's an excuse that works for me some/most days :P). but I'm not understanding with what Ryan is showing with how the outcome is accomplished in his snip and your explanation. I thank everyone who have attempted to enlighten me with the outcome I was asking. I'm just having a brain fog at present. Later when I have more time I'll try and put this info in order and figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I'm referring to the actual side panel of the box.

I've been doing that for years (and started asking for this in X6). This is one of the most common mods I use, pretty much every single kitchen. I always set talls so counter dies into the side- far cheaper to extend even two sides than resize a tall cabinet (and cheaper than paying for a fridge with damaged door from countertop), allows scribe to wall in remodel so no extra molding.

MOST (every one I ever carried) semi custom brands beyond the box store have that available as a standard mod

Plan attached with symbol for base, tall and wall cab.

There are several ways to do this but the one I like best is a custom door inserted into the back of the cabinet because -It will show up in plan and does not bump to the wall so can be set deep enough to allow for scribe and order the correct size (in schedule). Downside is the extra line in vector view. IF that is a real problem there are other ways and I likely have some symbols around but this is the  one I use almost always.

image.thumb.png.86e70422cbbed6c2d1912f42d6384e49.png

Symbol has to be offset for cabinets with toe kick WHICH MEANS that it also has to have a locked height so need multiples for heights-also need more if changing depth (make it bigger if you're just lazy since it doesn't bump :)

image.thumb.png.ff89f6dbc480a8c78cd040a904b0a78b.png

Extend side back.zip